First go at hot sauce.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Afternoon all,.
Today was the day to process the Cayennes I had fermenting for just shy of a month.

IMG_20230106_024458872 (1).jpg

The finish.

IMG_20230107_124117206_HDR.jpg

The initial idea was to use a masticating juicer to process. But didn't go as planned. Kept jamming at the pulp discharge. After doing more research. I discovered that dried peppers used for ferment can't be done this way. Skins are just too tough. So, I just blended. And strained. Added brine and vinegar to taste. I'll adjust again after it has set for a bit.
Very pleased with the flavor. And I have almost 2 quarts of brine left for starter. And using on various things. Can't wait to try this on fries.
Also got a quart of carrots going.
IMG_20230107_130041287.jpg

Great job on that hot sauce. I been thinking about giving it a whirl but would have to do a small batch if possible? On another not about hot sauces I have so many I just keep them in cabinet. Do these things need to be in fridge?

Great job on that hot sauce. I been thinking about giving it a whirl but would have to do a small batch if possible? On another not about hot sauces I have so many I just keep them in cabinet. Do these things need to be in fridge?
Thanks Brian. The PH on this was low enough to be shelf stable. But I'll put in fridge anyway.

Looks great Steve. I’ve had a few folks ask me to do a milder sauce. I plan on doing something cayenne and sweet pepper based. If you ever see a deal on a Vitamix grab it. You will never need to strain, hell it could grind a golf ball and not miss a beat.

Looks great Steve. I’ve had a few folks ask me to do a milder sauce. I plan on doing something cayenne and sweet pepper based. If you ever see a deal on a Vitamix grab it. You will never need to strain, hell it could grind a golf ball and not miss a beat.
Thanks Jeff. I'll keep a look out for one. I have a Ninja blender. But it is in the RV. Which is still at the shop for warranty work. So, I had to use a little 4 cup blender. Pita for sure. But it got the job done!

Reactions: jcam222
Want to do this with Chile de arbol. But I’m just not going to let me go down another rabbit hole Steve. Onions are getting happy though. Yours looks great.

Reactions: Steve H
Looks great man! Its been almost 6 years since ive made some sauce.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky