First drunk chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

preston897

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Weatherford Tx.
The night before last i did my first drunk chicken. This was also the first stuff using my uds after correcting my air flow issues. I went to my local butcher and picked up a 3lb bird for me and the wife. After cleaning and drying i let it sit in the fridge for a while to dry the skin a bit more. To season i used a locally made season salt called serendipity. Its a favorite of mine. For the beer i used blue moon i had in the fridge. Pour half in a can and helped myself to the other half. I always use lump charcoal and for my wood i used hickory with a littld bit of cherry. This was also a first using hickory for me. Over all it came out great! The skin was a bit tough. I feel like it was right on the cusp of being crispy. I think i should use higher temps next time. I was running about 275. At the end i put it in the oven for a bit to try to crisp it up. Meat was juicy as flavor was great!

Great looking bird! 325-350 will get you a crispier skin. Drying the skin before the cook helps too. You can air dry in the fridge for 12 hours or right before cooking take a hair dryer to the skin.

Keep in mind though that with this cook you are introducing moisture from the beer boiling in the can. So even at higher temps and having dried the skin you might still end up with tough rubbery

Last edited:
Thanks! Even with the skin not being perfect it still tastes great! Also i think ive hit my breaking point with my current digital therm on this cook...it may be time for a maverick. I was having to guess an average temp based on my dome thermo i have. That sort of made it a bit more difficult. Next time ill definatly try higher temps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky