First Cook Questions - Masterbuilt 44 Propane

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bababuoy

Original poster
Oct 29, 2017
Hey everyone.
How hot should this thing get?
I am 1 hour + in, cant push past 220.
Both burners on high.
All vents were open, now closed.
Temp from digital and built in match.
I even changed between new tanks.
Fully stock build - no mods yet.
Cooking 2 racks of ribs.
Thanks so much in advance!

Hey buddy, how did it go? Figure it out? Unfortunately this propane subforum doesn't get much traffic. I guess most of the propane guys hang out on a different forum. I am not sure which one has an active propane group.

You may want to read up on how some of these regulators work. They seem to have a safety mechanism to detect if too much propane is flowing and will switch to a low flow mode. Maybe that has occurred to you and hence low output? To check, close the tank valve and then open the smoker valve to release any residual pressure, then close it again. Wait 60 seconds (might be 30), then slowly open the tank valve and wait 60 seconds (might be 30). Then open and ignite the stove valve. I actually had this happen to me today and this procedure cleared it up. I think what causes it is having the stove valve open and then opening the tank valve, and it sees that free flow as too much and goes into safety mode.

Good luck

thanks wahoowad. Your trick got me up to 290. However the regulators were problematic. They sent me new ones, I put them on yesterday and I got up to 350 with an ambient temp of 30. So all is good. Beef short rib extravaganza!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky