First Cook On The New New Weber Performer: Massive Turkey Breast (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
There have been a massive number of amazing looking meals posted that were done by folks on their kettle grills. Then folks started getting different toys like the rotisserie, vortex, Slow 'N Sear, etc and the variety and quality of the postings went up exponentially. I kinda knew quite a while ago that I was gonna get a kettle at some point, it was just a matter of which one. As is typical, I started researching stuff. My top priority was that I didn't want a grill that was one dimensional. I wanted to be able to do a lot of stuff with it, which meant it needed to have a lot of accessories available. All indications pointed to the 22" grills having the most toys you can get for them. Now it was a decision which grill. I'd been looking seriously at a couple and the one at the top of the list was the Weber 22" Performer Deluxe. Well, a couple weeks ago our good friend Jimmy ( chef jimmyj chef jimmyj ) posted a thread with a meal using his. Decision made!! It was an epic battle with Amazon but I finally got one delivered just over a week ago. Decided to run the SnS and cook a huge turkey breast for my first run...and boy was it good!!

The turkey. It's Butterball and came already seasoned, which I didn't pay attention to when I grabbed it
023.jpg

Onto the grill after seriously seasoning the grill the day before
025.jpg

Target temp was 350. Dialed it in immediately and was amazed at how easy it was to hit the desired temp and hold it
029.jpg

Got some gravy going with the drippings that Butterball provided with the package. Yes Ryan ( Brokenhandle Brokenhandle ), more gravy!!
028.jpg

About an hour in. The only addition I made to the seasoning was add CBP
027.jpg

Pulled at 162 and let rest for a few minutes
030.jpg

Wow. so tender, so juicy. I think I'm gonna be happy with this. It sliced like butter
033.jpg

Plated with some gravy, stuffing, and a nice salad
034.jpg

This came out exceptionally well. Flavor, moisture, and tenderness were perfection. There's just something about a good instant read thermometer that can't be beat for taking the guess work out of hitting the right IT. Still though I was really happy as this is the first time in many years I've cooked over charcoal. I did have the BGE for several years which ran charcoal but everything I did on that was low and slow, no high temp cooking. I've done a few other things on the grill since this one and have been happy with all of them. The most important thing is that Tracy is happy. No question, you get flavor from charcoal that you don't get with propane. Yes, I still use the big grill but I have a feeling that this puppy is likely to see a lot of use. The driving force behind the Deluxe version is that it has a gas ignition system to light the charcoal so you're up and cooking in a matter of minutes. To me, that's a huge feature and makes using this a breeze. Today is gonna be some sort of a nice beef roast on the rotisserie. Just have not decided which one. Oh...the two accessories I got for it were the large SnS and the stainless steel rotisserie. The grill comes with two small, basic versions of the SnS but they are not large enough for a long cook so I got the big one with the water reservoir for doing multi-hour cooks. First long cook will probably be a rack of the meaty beef back ribs, but that remains to be seen and could change without notice depending on what Tracy may want.

Thanks y'all and have a great weekend!!
Robert

Nice job Robert and congrats on the new toy. Turkey looks perfect. Throw in some mashed potatoes for my gravy to ride on please. No full pic of the Weber?

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Nice job Robert and congrats on the new toy. Turkey looks perfect. Throw in some mashed potatoes for my gravy to ride on please. No full pic of the Weber?

I'm with you buddy re: the mashed potatoes. We'd just had them a night or two prior though with some steaks and Tracy asked for the stuffing. Next time though, I promise :emoji_wink:

During the break in
004.jpg

Getting some charcoal started up before piling on the heat
003.jpg

Man, with the reflection off the grill, glad I was wearing shorts :emoji_astonished:
005.jpg

Thanks for the kind words sir!!

Robert

Nice looking boobie there! lol I did the toy buying in reverse I have had a offset smoker and vertical smoker for years I just bought my 1st kettel a few weeks ago and I'm obsessed with it, why have I not had one of these decades ago? Doing my 3rd brisket cook 1st time on a kettle right now.
I got the webber mastertouch 22in
20200822_073736.jpg
20200822_070856.jpg

That turkey looks absolutely delicious! Sounds like the learning curve is over on the new Weber.

Thank you Joe. I was amazed at how easy dialing in the temp was. For one of the few times in history though I actually read the directions.

All this big talk about gravy from you guys the past few weeks, and that's all that ends up on your plate!? That salad should be floating!!

Hey hey hey...you gotta understand. There needs to be some restraint shown in order to make the picture presentable for posting. After that, it's Katie bar the door with the gravy!! There was no lack of it when I actually sat down to eat.

Robert

Nice looking boobie there! lol I did the toy buying in reverse I have had a offset smoker and vertical smoker for years I just bought my 1st kettel a few weeks ago

Me too!! I've had a patio full of different cookers for years, including a large custom made smoker. I've got the toys also but just decided to get this one as an addition to the other 7 or so that are out there :emoji_wink:

Robert

Looks fantastic!! I love good smoked turkey. My neighbor turns out some fine food on his Weber kettle too.

Thank you Jeff!! I did love the flavor of the charcoal on this. We did a whole turkey last year for the Cen Tex event on the rotisserie of the Santa Maria over mesquite. That was amazing but the flavor of the wood did not seem to get into the meat as much as I'd have liked, probably because of the skin on the turkey.

Robert

Boy howdy Robert, sure didn't take you any time to start posting some spectacular cooks with your new Weber, big Like, that bird looks delicious! I'm with Jake and Joe, turkey and gravy cry out for mashed taters. Do those Butterball breast roasts have any bones in the them? Turkey is actually something my wife will eat, that roast seem a prefect way to go. RAY

Love the flip up grate so wood or coals can be added on long cooks, mine will be the last grill to leave my home

Do those Butterball breast roasts have any bones in the them?

Thank you Ray. No, this one did not have bones. This is actually a full boneless breast as opposed to one of the Butterball roasts that's pieces put together and wrapped in the netting. It weighed just over 3#. It came in a bag that looked like a purse. Thought I was getting smaller individual breasts but got one monster instead, which I was ok with.

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
Love the flip up grate so wood or coals can be added on long cooks, mine will be the last grill to leave my home

Yes sir Mike. That was one of the pleasant surprises with the grill. Both sides of the grate flip up like that and the center of the grate is removable to accommodate the vortex. Pretty well thought grill, that's for sure.

Robert

Damn fine turkey Robert! And that grill looks nice! I've smoked a few of those before. They make excellent lunch meat too.

Turkey looks superb Robert! And gravy is like bacon, can't ever have too much! Nice looking new kettle ya got there! Looking forward to more of your cooks on it

Ryan

Glad you got the Kettle. I was hooked on them many years ago. I use my 22 all the time. Only 1 complaint. Do NOT trust the temperature gauge. Repeat, do NOT trust their stock temperature gauge. I never look at it. I just put a ThermoWorks ChefAlarm probe above the grate. Enjoy your WK. They are great!

Excellent presentation of the turkey slices. The Weber kettle is so versatile you just cant go wrong with it. My daughter calls it her grill, because she cooks steaks for me when Im on oxygen. we dont have the slow n sear but she uses some fire bricks and sections off the hot side, then puts some hickory chunks on the hot charcoal and steaks go on the cool side until it gets to 122f then she sears them. Works great.

Congrats on finally getting the Grill. I like the Traditional Black you got. I have to say I'm Loving the Crimson Kettle I got. It's different...
The Turkey looks great. I asked Bev if she has seen them. So far we have been getting Broast on the Bone. Not bad, just a little more knife work.
I been using my grill every chance but I'm guilty of not taking pictures. I ran out of Charcoal the other day but needed more time and Heat to finish the cook. I threw a split of, I think Oak on top of the coals and closed the cover. The wood maintained the temp and, to my delight, the TBS was flowing out the vent. The Chicken Thighs had a great Smokey flavor and all from accidentally running out of Kingsford...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky