First cook on.... Need some advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HarleySmoker417

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 31, 2018
Branson MO
So I have my firs cook going but having issue getting the temp to stabilize, first she runs at over three hund, now I can't get her back up to 250....suggestions?

Not sure what type of smoker you're using but consider adding a water pan, some sort of firebrick, or sand to help control the wild swings.

The thermal mass of those items will help regulate your cooking chamber

I am using a UDS with lump, I have finally got her back up a stable right around the 260 mark.... Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it immensely!

Lump may be your problem. It's irregular shapes allow for more airflow and less predictable temp swings. Next time try briquettes. Lump also like to burn hotter and faster then briquettes.

Chris

You putting any chunks of wood on the coals?

Warren

Yep got Apple and pecan on there....

Lump may be your problem. It's irregular shapes allow for more airflow and less predictable temp swings. Next time try briquettes. Lump also like to burn hotter and faster then briquettes.

Chris

I will give that a try once I get through this bag of lump....

I am not getting much smoke though....

TBS, Thin Blue Smoke, isn't a lot of smoke.
If your smoke gets too heavy, it can affect the final taste. Makes it yukkie.:p

Low and slow... And the essential ice cold can or bottle of Beer. :confused:;)
It's for in case you accidentally burn a hand. You hold it where the burn is.
If it becomes empty, you are obliged to get a fresh one. It's a safety issue.
(My wife doesn't believe me, but that's my story and I'm sti-Sti-Sticken toit. ) o_O

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky