• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First Chuckie

hawkiphan

Joined May 15, 2010
Tomorrow I am trying my first chuckie. It is about 2.5lbs and it is pretty thick. I was thinking of smoking it at about 225. I know each piece of meat smokes different but roughly how long should it take? I rubbed it with Jeff's rub and I figure that I will foil it at about 170.

Thanks.

chefrob

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 13, 2009
depends on yer smoker...............it will be done when it is done. try 1/2 can of beef broth if you use a foil pan for the last hour.

the dude abides

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 12, 2008
GO HAWKS!!!!!  Great game yesterday, inspite of O'Keefe's predictible play calling.

Hey hawkiphan.  I did a 2.25lb chuckie yesterday for the game and it took about 3 hours to hit 165, then I foiled, added a splash of beer, then back in the smoker til it hit 205.  then I rested it in a cooler for 2 hours.  It pulled apart really easily.

Here's my thread if it helps you at all.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/99558/smoked-chuck-made-enchiledas

I'm in West Des Moines...where are you?

hawkiphan

Joined May 15, 2010
I am over by Altoona. The game was going great but it got a little too close for my taste towards the end.

For my first try the chuckie turned out pretty good. I put it in a foil pan at 160 with beef broth and some onions. I pulled it out when it was a little over 190, let it sit for about a half hour and then pulled it.

What temp did you smoke it at Dude? I was around 225 for most of the smoke. It took longer to smoke than I thought it would.

the dude abides

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 12, 2008
I was running around 240 for the better part of the day.  I grew up off E. 42nd and Hubble.  So I know that area pretty well.  Might be time for another Iowa lunch or dinner gathering.

Now we just need to see some pictures!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.