First Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dauntless

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Groton, CT
Been awhile since I posted (been away from home with the Military) so I figured what better way to start my first morning home with my first cold smoked cheese!

NY Sharp, Med Cheddar, Pepper Jack, and some Muenster. Using Maple hard wood w/ apple and hickory, the grate level thermo on my UDS is reading 80 degs, but the outside temp is in the 20's so hopefully all will be well.

fe8c9c09_IMG00009-20101221-1011.jpg

5523f484_IMG00010-20101221-1020.jpg

Thank you for your service. Glad you are home in time for Christmas.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

The cheese is looking good. Looking forward to some final pics 

No need to Thank or Salute, I love what I do and the real people that need saluting are all of you that keep this site up. Temps at grate level have dropped to 65 or so, TBS still chugging at an hour in, figure two more hours and done.

Thank you for your service and I'm glad you got home for the holidays. Looks and sounds like your cheese smoke is going great and I'll look forward to the finished Qview

Small spike in temp (135) started softening the bottoms, got temps down and flipped the cheese, hopefully all will be ok.

Not sure how they taste, but I think they look pretty decent and smell even better.   I have bagged them up and will try some in a week (I know not as long as some like but we have family coming into town) 

ee4479cf_IMG00011-20101221-1348.jpg

Last edited:
Great Job!

Thanks for your service, and WELCOME BACK!!!

What did you use the generate smoke in your UDS, and how did you keep the temps so low?

Todd

I used two chinks of lump to get some heat going, and then a just threw a couple hunks of apple and hickory in my small basket.  Temps stayed right around 70-80 at grate level for the 3 1/2 hr smoke with the exception of one small spike about an hour or so in.  Of course it helped that it was in the 20's outside

That cheese looks great. I remember as a kid in CT we went on a tour of the sub base in Groton. I'll never forget how the submarine smelled as long as I live. 
Yeah that is a smell that grows and stays with ya forever. I don't even notice it anymore, but every time I get home form an underway the wife makes me take my clothes off in the garage...haha

That cheese looks great. I remember as a kid in CT we went on a tour of the sub base in Groton. I'll never forget how the submarine smelled as long as I live. 
Yeah that is a smell that grows and stays with ya forever. I don't even notice it anymore, but every time I get home form an underway the wife makes me take my clothes off in the garage...haha

She just can't wait huh???

Sorry I couldn't resist that one!

I want to thank you for your service too, and boy that cheese looks Great!!

Thanks,

Bear

Looks like the cheese got a little to hot.  You can also use smoke bags and it gives the cheese a nice look. 

Great looking cheese. You can seal a meal that cheese and it will last forever in the fridge. I have some still from 2/2010 and still perfect. Oh, and thank you for your service.

Well On Xmas I broke out one of the NY Sharp Chunks for my dad and uncle, and man what awesome flavor. I vac sealed the rest individually and gave them too them. I told them to wait a couple more weeks if you can. I would have to say for my first time cold smoking anything, I hit a home run!!! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky