First cheese smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SKade

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 21, 2019
West Virginia
I did my first cheese smoke today. A few pounds of cheddar of various types, a couple pounds of mozzarella, and a pound of pepper jack.
DSC_0022.JPG
DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

Smoked for three hours with apple pellets. Tasted like it had a good amount of smoke but it needs to mellow some. It's in the fridge till tomorrow when I will vac pack most and leave some in ziplocs to munch on. The smoke smelled different than I'm use to. It was my first time using pellets. Excited to see what it becomes.

Cheese looks great! Looks like it took on some nice color too. You will be hooked and smoking more once that first batch mellows out! LIKE!

Good job for your first time! And now the hard part...waiting for it to mellow out. Then there's the harder part of not eating it all and trying to get some aged cheeses

Ryan

Nice job on that cheese. I bet it won't be to long before another batch goes in the smoker.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great! I've only done cheese a few times and always came out too smoky. This "mellowing" process sounds like a missed step. How long does it usually take?

Depending on what type of wood or pellets you used and for how long... think a month would be a good start. Usually how long I start with

Ryan

I’ve always done a minimum or at least 2 weeks. Longer if I can stand to wait and let it age more but not before 2 weeks.

If you use dust and monitor the amount of smoke then your cheese is basically eatable the same day.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky