First butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

covanant

Original poster
Jul 2, 2016
Planing on smokin my first butt this weekend.Done alot of reading on it thru this great forum.one question i have is what size butt should i buy?
Need to feed 4,but time may be a factor,can i do one in under 8hours?

Whether I'm buying for 2 or 10 I always get around an 8lb butt.  Leftovers are great and keep for days. 

Now, to get it done in the time needed, do it hot n fast, which is the only way I do butts these days.  At 350F chamber temp you can do an 8 lb butt in about 4-5 hours, wrapping it at an IT of 170-180F.  At 275F you'll going to add another 2-3 hours so you're cutting it close.  Or you can smoke it for 3-4 hours at 275F, wrap it up and finish it in the oven at 350F.  Put it in for an hour then check the IT.  Final IT should be 200-205F.  If not there just check it every half hour or so.  Would definitely be done in time.       

A smaller butt, say 5 lbs, would be done in just under 3 hours at 350F on the smoker, around 5 hours at 275 F, wrapping at the same temp.

Ray's got you covered.  I like an butt around 8 lbs too, but at 225-250, that could take 16 hrs!  
icon_eek.gif
  You gotta go hot and fast for your time frame, or get a smaller butt.  At low and slow, you gotta give yourself up to 2 hrs\ lb.  Happy smoking.

Mike

Don't get too wrapped up with the idea that you have to smoke a pork butt at 225. Some of the best ones I've done have been smoked in the 325-350* range.

Good luck!

Similar question: scenario; put dry rubbed 10 pound butt in 250• smoker at 5:30pm. Added charcoal at 8 and 11pm and temps range from 200-275. Went to sleep at 11:30pm and took warm to the surface touch (120• center temp) butt out at 5:30 am- wrapped in foil and put in fridge. Smells good. Is it ok to pull, reheat and serve in crockpot later today? Thanks, newbie, tommy.

TommyB, a 12 hour smoke should yield an IT much higher than 120° which leads me to believe the smoker temp was far from consistent or high enough. If it was at a steady 225° you would've easily attained an IT of 170° and most likely higher.

Meat needs to get to 140° in a lot shorter time (have read 4 hours) in order to be safe. Maybe a few others will comment here to verify. I would be concerned for what's in the fridge.

Thanks scholz. Should clarify, 120° was the temperature measured when I took it out of the smoker at 5:30am. The smoker fire probably went out about three in the morning. I took it out of the smoker at 5:30 Am so it started cooling down by itself. What I'm curious about is it cooled down in the smoker, say from 2 AM to 3 AM - 5:30, was it a safe thing or not. I'm sure the meat got over 170 at some point during the eight hour charcoal fed cook - thanks all, great forum! thanks all, great for him!

Planing on smokin my first butt this weekend.Done alot of reading on it thru this great forum.one question i have is what size butt should i buy?
Need to feed 4,but time may be a factor,can i do one in under 8hours?

The previous posters done a good job answering your question.
You don't really mention what type of smoker you have.
That could play a big part in your answer. If your smoker can cook at higher temps you could do a butt it in 8hrs. One thing you can't factor in is every piece of meat is different and it will be done when it's done. :biggrin:

Good Luck with your smoke!!

Im using an oklahoma joe highland,can maintain 225-250 no problem with the odd spike to 300.

Soi ended up getting a 4.75 pound butt.
2 hrs in so far and its lookin good!
Temps are fluctuating between 240-350 when i add splits,but comes back down fast.

just pulled it off and in the cooler now for an hour.cant wait to try it

Makes me feel like less of a smoker that I don't have to battle temps with an electric rig, ha! Great looking meat!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky