First butt with my new MES!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hotburn76

Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
Findlay, Ohio
Here is the first pic of the butt before going in. I plan on getting up in the night to put chips in the smoke pan and then the wrap when it gets up to temp. Hopefully done shortly after sun up. I will post more pics as the night progresses. I also left it pretty plane with no rubs, just a little Morton seasonings. Want to get a "baseline" flavor before I start playing with rubs.

Thanks for the wealth of info on here. This place has been great.

Thats a good way to decide on the flavor profile on pork and how you want to make a rub to complement the pork.Let us know how it goes!!!

Here is my first peak at it about three hours into it 11 pm. I also needed to put the digital meat thermometer in it. I had the thermometer hanging to see how accurate the MES is and was pleased it was within about five degrees at the worst point and that was always at the top of the heat cycle. When I put it in the meat it was 130F so I set my alarm for two am for the wrap.

Here is what I had when I woke up at two. It looked and smelled great! I took it out just long enough for a quick double wrap and back in. I hope I was not to late as the meat was 170F.

Well its seven am and the meat was at 203F.  I now have it cooling for the "rest" period you guys speak about.  I did not take a pic of this since its just a big ball of foil,  I will have to wait till after church to pull it appart.  Will post more pics then.  Thanks again guys.

Looks good and 170° is fine for foiling temp.

Here is my first peak at it about three hours into it 11 pm. I also needed to put the digital meat thermometer in it. I had the thermometer hanging to see how accurate the MES is and was pleased it was within about five degrees at the worst point and that was always at the top of the heat cycle. When I put it in the meat it was 130F so I set my alarm for two am for the wrap.
Looking real good Hotburn76!!!

It's good to wait a few hours before inserting your meat probe anyway.

That way, if you didn't inject it, you don't have to worry about Danger Zone Rule (40˚ to 140˚ in 4 hours).

I can't wait to see your final pics.

Thanks for the views,

Bear

Thanks for all the replies guys. I just got home from church a while ago and unwrapped the pork. The second pic is the pork pulled with just hands, no knife or forks.

Thats some good looking butt LOL. Amazingly easy aint it?

Looks Great!

Ahhh Caveman style!

"Me rip meat with bare hands---Grunt"

I love it !!!

Keep up the good work!

Bear

Thanks for all the compliments. The pork taste great but with out a rub or finishing sauce it is on the plane side. With sweet baby rays its great. I also leaned on the cautious side and used cherry wood and not hickory. I can taste the smoke throughout the meat pretty good but its on the weak side. I had a decent TBS, or at least I think so. Will try hickory next and will work on a rub. Overall I enjoyed doing this and looking forward to more experimenting. The MES did great too with it being in the single temps last night.

Thanks for all the compliments. The pork taste great but with out a rub or finishing sauce it is on the plane side. With sweet baby rays its great. I also leaned on the cautious side and used cherry wood and not hickory. I can taste the smoke throughout the meat pretty good but its on the weak side. I had a decent TBS, or at least I think so. Will try hickory next and will work on a rub. Overall I enjoyed doing this and looking forward to more experimenting. The MES did great too with it being in the single temps last night.
If you want it smokier,
Hickory ought to do it. They're just about all weak compared to Hickory (except Mesquite & maybe some rare ones).

I use about 90% Hickory any more.

Bear

Good job!

Pulled pork is great isn't it.

Get your rubs and finishing sauce rolling next.

Have a great day!

Craig

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky