• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First Buckboard Bacon

saugeyejoe

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 24, 2010
First stab at buckboard.  ~3.5 lbs pork shoulder, TQ and brown sugar for 7 days.  Coated with pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.  Cooked at 225 until IT reached 165.   Took a break then sliced.  Tastes a lot like canadian bacon, not as much marbled fat as i was expecting. Oh well, tastes damn good......

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Most of us smoke them a little lower and slower since it is cured but I am sure it tastes great either way. Congrats now you are hooked

saugeyejoe

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 24, 2010
Thanks Scarbelly,  I will definitely try low and slow next time.  Whats a good temp to cook it at?

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
Looks good, I just pulled a bag out of the freezer for BBB and eggs this weekend. :)

chefrob

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 13, 2009
i cold smoke mine for 8hrs and then i treat it like regular bacon............meaning fry it up to a fully cooked state.

Thanks Scarbelly,  I will definitely try low and slow next time.  Whats a good temp to cook it at?

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Looks good , nice color!

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
It sure looks good!

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks Great!

Tell ya what:

I never did BBB to 160˚/165˚ before, but I want to try that next time, like I do my CB.

I have always taken my BBB to a much lower temp.

So next time, you try it at a lower temp, and I'll do it the way you just did.

I'l still "low & slow" it, to get it good & smoky, but I'll finish it at 160˚ internal temp.

I would like to be able to eat it cold, or just warm it up a little, after thawing it out, or removing it from the fridge.

Bear

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
I've never smoked my BBB up to 160°, but I should, just to try it. 

My first couple batches, I smoked to an internal temp of 120°, but now I just cold smoke for 6 1/2 hours.

BBB tastes like bacon, but has the texture of ham.

Half the fun of our hobby is all the "Testing" we get to do!!!

Todd

saugeyejoe

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 24, 2010
The downside of taking to 160......Its almost gone already.  I better freeze whats left before I eat it too.

bakerboy7

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 10, 2011
Great job!  The batch that I did a couple of weeks ago was cold smoked, but I plan on hot smoking the next one.

Chris

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.