First Buckboard Bacon w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

erain

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 2, 2008
cental minnesota
finally decided to try out the buckboard bacon everyone is making. i bought some high mountain cure about a year ago so so decided to use that for a cure. on 12-12 i deboned 2 butts

sorta butterflied the butts and put about a third of the measured amount per instructions on the box on the inside and the rest got rubbed on the outside. put them in ziplocks along with the cure that didnt stick to the butts. one in just hi mountain...

the other added some gran garlic and onion along with some CBP

left in cure til last night, just didnt have time to remove and smoke earlier. rinsed and soaked for aprx 4 hours. cut some slices and did a couple pieces in fry pan and it wasnt too salty. was nice and pink all the way thru. decided to play around with some different flavors so i cut the butts in half leaving me with 4 pieces

like i said i sorta butterfied the butts, could have just smoked on racks but i had some netting from a friend so decided why not try put in netting and hang like a summer sausage and smoke... easier said than done, didnt have a roast tyer so had to improvise. found a big plastic lid,

rolled the cover around the meat forming a funnel sorta and slipped the netting over it

and pushed the meat thru the funnel dealy and into the netting.

ended up with these...

being i had four cured hunks i decided to do some different things to each using

found the smoker...

so one was just cured with buckboard, the other half i poured maple syrup on it, homemade by an old family friend. let set over nite in frig in baggy in syrup and rinsed off this am. the other two chunks were withthe buckboard, gran onion and garlic, one half just added more CBP, the other CBP and some rib rub. just seeing if anything exciting comes outta this... left to right we have plain BB, GG/GO/CBP, maple syrup, GG/GO/CBP/rib rub

here it is at 120 IT, gonna take to 140. will post finished and sliced pix later...

thks for cking my pics!!!

I have a feeling....This is gonna be good.

Man,love that smoker pick bro....
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Looks good can't wait for more Qview!!!

well here it is, well sorta, i thought i had a picture of it all sliced heaped on a pan but i musta forgot.... to much in a hurry to get a piece in the fry pan i think... but out of the smoker...

stripped the netting off...

here a picture of it thru a 2 gal ziplock. sorry about that, could swear i had a pic of it just sliced on a cookie sheet, man what a sight it was too!!!

guess too much of a hurry to get to this. man i been missing out!!! just fried up a slice of the plain BBB. was awesome and cant wait to see what the others are like.

Looks great man, that was a great idea with the netting. I would never thought of that for stuffing, glad it worked out for you.
points.gif

Wow Erain! That looked awesome. I have never done BBB but your tutorial and explanation has me inspired. I want to try this now.

Great ingenuity in getting the butts into the netting too.

points.gif
on a great smoke, and motivational post.

WOW that stuff look awesome and really yummy too. I really like the looks af that stuff Erain.
points.gif
for sure and the netting was a good idea too.

Erain - that looks like some really good stuff. I am going to start some this weekend. Did you ever try the other variations than just the Hi Mountain BBB cure alone?

all were cured with hi mountain, quarters were as follows

plain hi mountain, just like the instructions say

same as above but with maple syrup soak overnight

hi mountain and gran garlic and gran onion with a lil cbp and rib rub

hi mountain and gran garlic, gran onion, and lotsa cbp...

the only one i wouldnt do again would be the one with just a lil cbp, like the one with alot of cbp much more. the maple and just the plain are also great. there are many ways one could go with this as well as curing with t/q or prague #1 as well. is great stuff and i have a felling i be playing around a bunch with this. thks all

Well, you just send that one with a lil cbp on down my way. Not sure how I missed this when it was fresh, but wowza! That all looks awesome. The netting sure made for some great looking qview and nice presentation.

points.gif

thks man!!! actually i had to edit my response... the one with the lil cbp on it also has rib rub on it. yea the netting looks cool. i actually had the butt butterflied so when i cut in half, 2 halves were actually 2 pieces each. this kept them all the same size. but you right, they look pretty neat in the netting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky