First Briskett Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coacher72

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2010
Pratt, Kansas
I started my first brisket last night about 10:30 p.m. It was a 13.5 lb packer. I followed Jeff's method in prepping it for the smoker. I was guessing it would take, based on the formula, about 18-20 hrs. I have a 20 in Wichita model Yoder offset smoker. I kept the temp. between 220 and 240. I smoked it in an aluminum pan. I planned to slice it so I was looking for an internal temp of 195. At 2:00 p.m. it was at 197. I pulled it from the smoker, kept it in the pan with juices, put foil over the pan and placed it in the oven to hopefully stay warm until we are ready to eat at about 6:00 p.m.

So, the cook time was about 16 hrs. The question is, is it common for some to take a significant amount of time less than others?

I wish I could show you some Q-view but the digital camera is on the fritz and is not working.

Another question, is it alright to let it sit in the pan with the drippings until we eat? It appears to be pretty moist. When I pulled the probe juices ran out for about 2 minutes.

Any comments would be aprpeciated.

Thanks

yes it is common for some to cook faster then others.  As for sitting in the fluid I do not know the answer, what I would do is drain the fluid and put in fridge and then separate the fat from it.

i have done brisket on the rack and in the pan. i have found that they do cook faster in the pan. my theory is that since it is sitting in liquid that you are roasting as well as smoking.

Pan smoked allways comes out moister . but has all most no bark.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky