First brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
Well, gonna try a brisket for the first time. 15 pound Angus choice brisket. Wasn’t wanting one quite that big but was the smallest I could find.
Pre-trim…
C1521022-FD80-4BCC-B3CE-FC47D07F3BB8.jpeg

I am by far no expert on trimming. Watched a ton of YouTube videos and read every thing I could find on trimming. Didn’t screw it up too bad…I hope!
And prepped with TulsaJeff TulsaJeff Texas rub with a mustard binder. Gonna put it on the kettle using the snake method with maple wood for smoke.
3FA6299E-851E-4B22-BD41-3703B5931734.jpeg
Gonna fire it up when I get home from work tomorrow evening and let it go all night. Will finish off in the masterbuilt gasser as needed.
Y’all dont judge my trimming too much!
Jim

Well, gonna try a brisket for the first time. 15 pound Angus choice brisket. Wasn’t wanting one quite that big but was the smallest I could find.
Pre-trim…
View attachment 645873

I am by far no expert on trimming. Watched a ton of YouTube videos and read every thing I could find on trimming. Didn’t screw it up too bad…I hope!
And prepped with TulsaJeff TulsaJeff Texas rub with a mustard binder. Gonna put it on the kettle using the snake method with maple wood for smoke.
View attachment 645874
Gonna fire it up when I get home from work tomorrow evening and let it go all night. Will finish off in the masterbuilt gasser as needed.
Y’all dont judge my trimming too much!
Jim
Jim, looking forward to hearing how this goes. Enjoy the smoke!

Reactions: JLeonard
Alrighty Gents, non-gents, and those questioning! Here’s the story…9.5 hours and 250 -ish degrees on the kettle and it was probe tender at 205 degrees IT and 2:30 am. Foil boated it at 170 degrees. So I wrapped it in foil and into a 170 degree oven til noon. Then into a cooler and wrapped in towels.
View attachment 645982
Bark suffered some from the wrapping.
Sliced beautifully. Passed the bend test. And came apart with a gentle tug.
View attachment 645983
Had a pretty little smoke ring and was extremely juicy!
View attachment 645984
Will I do it again? Heck yeah! Family all raved over it and I thought it was pretty good.
Want to thank all you folks on here for the advice, tips, and encouragement you all give.
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky