First Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

njsmoker83

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Morris County, New Jersey
hey guys, today I am doing my first Brisket (4.05 lb Flat).  I put it on a little earlier, fat side up over lump and pecan and apple wood chunks in my WSM 18.5.  I sprayed it with apple cider when temp was 110.  Im going to flip it at 135 and spray it again then leave it till 170 and flip and foil till 190.  Wish me luck.  Already started taking pics, hopefully it is good.

edit:

after two hours the temp said 170, i thought this was impossible so i took probe out and put it somewhere else and it read 143.  Good thing i double checked.  I just threw on some ABT's and temp is not at 148 after about two hours.

Last edited:
Why all the flipping and spraying? IMHO you shhould leave the smoker closed, maintain a good cooking temp and let the brisket cook nice and slow. Foil if ya want when it's ready and then you will only be opening your smoker once. Just my $0.02

I foil at 160* and take it to 195*, or at least, that's what I did the one time my brisket came out good!

IRMV

Good luck, and post Qview when done!

Last edited:
been in a stall at 163 for hour and a half lol just ate some of the ABT that came off they were my best yet

EDIT:

Still in a stall.... been about two hours i would say.  Temp dropped a few degrees.

Last edited:
No first hand experience but I have read on here that they can back up. You just have to wait it out. The oven @ 250 is an option too if necessary. I wouldn't toss it.

Well good thing for this site.  I would have thrown it away and called it a night but the temp is back up to 160 so i guess slow and steady, hopefully that is the last problem for the night.  I guess Ill be eating this around 3am lol

Well good thing for this site.  I would have thrown it away and called it a night but the temp is back up to 160 so i guess slow and steady, hopefully that is the last problem for the night.  I guess Ill be eating this around 3am lol
You aren't the first.. Next time put it on at 9 or 10 at night, then eat the next day.. Glad to see you kept with it.

well guys, it came out better than expected for my first one.  not as juicy as i thought but it was really really good.  I will have pics in the morning

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky