First Brisket Smoke... 🤞

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sccrbrg

Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
First brisket (and overnight) smoke tonight. Crossing my fingers that it turns out okay. I’ve read plenty of posts and articles from the forum and have cobbled together my approach.

Grabbed a 17lb prime brisket from Costco for 2.99/lb. Thought it was a great deal until I trimmed it and removed at least 4-5lbs.

I injected the flat with kosmos reserve, dusted it with kosmos cow cover, and removed the fat cap other than about 1/4 inch on the flat.

69A8098E-5416-46B7-9AD0-86D65A82CCBB.jpeg

E096762A-B2BA-4BAF-A64B-345A3D348EDB.jpeg

Not the prettiest trim job. Learned a lot and should be able to make it cleaner next time.

Just popped this guy on the smoker at 225. Planning to eat around 6pm tomorrow. Hopefully doesn’t finish too early (or late). Almost forgot about losing an hour tomorrow (time change for PST).

Hoping to wake up at the stall tomorrow, wrap, and keep it going. Will update as I go!

Don't worry your trim skills will get better as you go along,
I hope you invested in some cut proof gloves, I learned the hard way that the flesh on my finger bones is easier to cut than brisket fat, hence the glove.
In addition, ten or more hours in a cooker will smooth out any errors you made in trimming so hang on, it's coming.

Good luck sounds like you have a good plan of attack. BTW it's way better to finish to early then to late. You can hold a brisket in a cooler for a few hours wrapped in foil and towels. Guests on the other hand tend to get a little over heated and cranky if made to wait a few extra hours.

Chris

Hope you invested in a wireless probe with high/low temp alarm. LOTS of people wake up to cold briskets when they go to sleep without one
I have a cheap thermpro one that I’ve been using for a while, it’s not great but it does the job.

If you think it's running late and not gonna finish on time turn up the temp, can also finish in the oven. Make sure you allow for some rest time before slicing.

Ryan

Thanks for the help everyone!

Woke up to see it stalled at 156, took it off and did a quick wrap job. Now back on the smoker!

C5245A66-74FF-44E3-8988-7B5301BF9A59.jpeg

62ED2EF9-2D46-41CB-B627-BDDD5F9EA669.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
Remember, there is an effect called "carry over" cooking.
After you pull the meat the temp will continue to rise so if you pull it at 205 and rest it wrapped in a cooler it will be or become overcooked.
If you pull it at 205, then air cool it right away for an hour then cut and serve if time allows.
If you pull it at 195/198 you can hold it wrapped for two or more hours and it will come out more tender than if you pulled it at 205 and ate it right away.
Time management, just another joy of brisket cooking.

im in for the watch! yeah trimming takes practice and selecting a brisket I have found to be a mixed bag. generally you will learn what to avoid (rock hard unbendable) and what to look for (marbling and good flex). BUT - its a judgment call through a cyrobag. sometimes there is a lot of fat to remove, sometime not, sometimes the packing plant had training day and you cant see how bad they butchered it till the bag is removed. Just roll with what you get and cook to plan. Usually everything I stress about become s none issue by supper time :)

If you are into it - you can save all the fat and make tallow.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
After you pull the meat the temp will continue to rise so if you pull it at 205 and rest it wrapped in a cooler it will be or become overcooked.
If you pull it at 205, then air cool it right away for an hour then cut and serve if time allows.
If you pull it at 195/198 you can hold it wrapped for two or more hours and it will come out more tender than if you pulled it at 205 and ate it right away.
Thanks for the tip. I think I’m going to try to take it to probe tender (whatever temp that ends up being) and then rest it on the counter until it comes down to about 180, then wrap and cooler it to avoid that.

im in for the watch! yeah trimming takes practice and selecting a brisket I have found to be a mixed bag. generally you will learn what to avoid (rock hard unbendable) and what to look for (marbling and good flex). BUT - its a judgment call through a cyrobag. sometimes there is a lot of fat to remove, sometime not, sometimes the packing plant had training day and you cant see how bad they butchered it till the bag is removed. Just roll with what you get and cook to plan. Usually everything I stress about become s none issue by supper time :)

If you are into it - you can save all the fat and make tallow.

Yeah, everything looked good through the bag, the brisket was very bendable, but once I started cutting there was just a ton of hard fat. Looking like I probably could have left more on though because most of it had completely rendered away by the time I pulled it off this morning to wrap.

This is what I did on my first brisket. It tasted OK, but was overcooked. Won't do that again.

Flat is in the cooler and burnt ends back on the smoker!

Some of them were starting to shred, thinking the point probably should have come off before the flat?

34931334-7B86-431D-A698-6F1C51D789B7.jpeg

Reactions: Brokenhandle
good work! you will perfect your briskets over time, but this is a good lookin start!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky