First brisket on new WSM 22.5 w/Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I just got a chance to get this posted. Wife bought me a new WSM 22.5 for my birthday. Tried it out over T.G. weekend. I previously had a MES 40". I love it but wanted something that was a little more challenging to operate. I have never smoked a brisket before either. Results were good. I injected the brisket with beef broth. onion powder, & garlic powder. Used EVOO & a basic rub with some steak seasoning. Sprayed it with mop sauce (vinegar,beer,sugar,salt,garlic,cayenne) every 45 min. or so. Took it to 170, foiled it with a little beer, then to 205. Let sit on counter for an hour or so in foil. Then sliced. Here's how she looked.

Sorry guy's I don't know why photo bucket didn't work this time. I'll try again.

OK finally got it! I hope.

22e6b8ee_PICT0002-Copy.jpg

Congrats! Nice looking brisket. I love my WSM for doing full packer briskets.

I usually just get a good simple basic rub on the brisket (salt, pepper, galic powder, onion powder), get it on the WSM and then leave it alone till the internal temp. comes up to 165°. Then I dump a beer in a disposable turkey pan, put the brisket in that, foil it over and let it ride till it hits 200°. Pull it out of the pan, wrap in foil, rest for 2 hrs. and enjoy! The beer combines with the juices from the brisket to make the best ajus in the world.

That looks awesome Al !!!

The exploded view looks even better!

Zoom in on that bad boy, Guys!!!

Bear

The brisket was a flat cut, as far as the bark goes. I don't know why it looks so good. Unless it's because I trimmed almost all the fat & silver skin off both sides, and mopped it every 45 minutes or so. I gotta tell you though, I really love my new WSM. Gonna try some ribs on it this week-end, will let you guys know how that turns out.

The brisket was a flat cut, as far as the bark goes. I don't know why it looks so good. Unless it's because I trimmed almost all the fat & silver skin off both sides, and mopped it every 45 minutes or so. I gotta tell you though, I really love my new WSM. Gonna try some ribs on it this week-end, will let you guys know how that turns out.
Bet that was it, I usually leave the fat cap on, which wouldn't get that bark! I may have to try it your way once and see how I do, cause that looks good!!

Bet that was it, I usually leave the fat cap on, which wouldn't get that bark! I may have to try it your way once and see how I do, cause that looks good!!

jojo, I leave all the fat on and always get good bark, I do not foil at anytime during the smoke or mop. I smoke fat side down 1/2 way and then fat side up.

HUH, I'll try that, I have always read to smoke fat up the entire time, But it never hurts to try something new!

icon_cool.gif

Your brisket looks greatto me there Al. I'm really glad you got the whole photobucket thingy down. Now go smoke more and post us some Q-view.

HUH, I'll try that, I have always read to smoke fat up the entire time, But it never hurts to try something new!

If I could add:

Although I trim mine, if it really has a lot of fat, I do leave more fat on than the average Bear.

Since I use an MES, it would not do much for me to put it in upside down, so I score all the way through the fat, to the meat, in a diamond pattern (like on a Ham). 

Then I put it in fat up, and foil at 165˚.

However, if I had a WSM, I would probably try it the way "SmokinAl" suggests.

Bear

looks great! I never tried to smo a brisket yet .but after seeing yours i've been inspired. what flavor wood was used and about how loong at what temp'

great looking brisket...i can almost taste it. i love brisket. Pork, mostly Boston has always been my speciality. I found out the good ole' brisket is an entirely different animal...uh course in more ways than the main one. I've cooked 3 briskets so far. The first one was absolutly awesome. Sorry can't detail it very much but it was a huge surprise how well it turned out. I always use lump charcoal. My 2nd brisket turned out pretty tuff. I rushed it. Wasn't completly ruined but I was certainly not happy. My 3rd brisket was cooked perfectly but this is what happened: I rubbed it with a rub that had Applewood Smoke Flavoring in it..that after i used all my soaked hickory chips, id throw i few dry ones here and there just to see the smoke, (it had been a while since id cooked). So the brisket turned out so smoky the dogs even complained, but they did eat it. So I have #4 out there somewhere, think i'll cook a Butt with it this time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky