First brisket on Camp Chef smokepro XT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Blue Kettle

Original poster
Feb 20, 2018
Hey all,
I got a chance to cook my first brisket this weekend on the new Camp Chef smokepro XT. Before starting this project I added some fireblack to the lid and it made a world of difference with the stability of the temperature I was getting and maintaining. The brisket turned out great. One other thing, I did cheat and add an A-maze-n tube smoker to get some additional smoke into it for the first couple hours.
IMG_20180414_122144_453.jpg
IMG_20180414_120655.jpg
i can't get over how easy the whole thing was after prior brisket cooks involving staying awake all night to tend to the temperature. It feels like I cheated.

Brisket looks amazing!
I just had my first smoke on a camp chef stx today and did baby backs. Turned out pretty good.
I'm intrigued by the fire black...I noticed I had smoke coming out along the lid below the handle.
Did you apply it all around the lid or just where smoke was escaping?

Reactions: Blue Kettle
Congratulation on the inaugural smoke, brisket looks wonderful.

Point for sure.

Chris

Reactions: Blue Kettle
Brisket looks amazing!
I just had my first smoke on a camp chef stx today and did baby backs. Turned out pretty good.
I'm intrigued by the fire black...I noticed I had smoke coming out along the lid below the handle.
Did you apply it all around the lid or just where smoke was escaping?

I applied it to the sides (actually on the firebox) and then the top (actually on the lid itself so I could see to make sure it didn't impact the hinges). I'd definitely recommend it if you have an STX (which if I'm not mistaken is essentially the same as the XT but with different legs). My thing was I was getting temp swings up to 100 degrees, especially in high winds (I'm in Oklahoma where its windy more often than not). I honestly think the gap in the lid was bad enough that the wind was getting into the firebox and just giving the PID controller fits. But now, even with the wind blowing a lot the other night when I did this cook it was staying within +/- 5 to 10 degrees which was a remarkable improvement.

I'll definitely be getting some.
I noticed swings as high as 40 but definitely losing smoke (and obviously heat) from the bottom of the lid.
Thanks!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky