First Brisket gonna happen this spring or summer but first I have questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking Audi

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 19, 2021
Traeger Pro 34 pellet smoker is what I will be using .

So we have sone a couple of pulled beefs and sone pulled pork and several racks of ribs. We pretty much now what we are doing with our smoker now but have yet to try a brisket.

Went to Lowerys in Michigan to stock up on brats for the summer and decided to get a brisket. And of course all they had were big SOBs. Yeah 16 lbs for our first brisket.

I understand the basics. Trim it, season it, smoke it around 225 and wrap when it stalls. It’s a big slab so it’s gonna take a long time from what I gather if I smoke it all at once.

The butcher gave me a recommendation of cutting the point from the flat then only cook up 1 piece at a time and leave the other for later. Good idea or bad idea? Google says no problem but I have 2 friends saying yes and the other saying don’t.

Open to ideas at this point. Not gonna cook until a few weeks or a month from now so either way this thing will be going in the freezer this weekend and thawed later

Reactions: schlotz
Smoke it whole and don't be afraid to run your pit up closer to 300°F. 225 isn't the magic number it's made out to be. Running hotter (within reason) will give you the same results as 225, but less cook time.

Use a smoke tube if I go for 300? My pellet does not smoke a lot at 300

We opted to not cut at this time and freeze it whole. Thanks everyone! I had read the brisket sticky before but will print it out this week and study it more

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky