First brisket, 21 hours and accidentally good

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Picked up a 3.99/lb, 12.5 lb brisket from Costco a couple weeks ago and decided to cook it starting last night. I watched Chef Tom‘s videos at ATBBQ and Pitman at Meat Church to learn how to trim it. Seasoned it with Holy Cow and The Holy Gospel. Fired up the Yoder at 10pm and threw it on at 225. Started with Lumberjack competition blend for the first 2-3hrs, then switched to Knotty Wood Plum.

View attachment 627856View attachment 627858

Now here’s where things went slightly sideways. I set an alert for 157 to wake me up so I could wrap it in parchment paper. I woke up around 6:45 to find that the stall hit at 154 around 2:30 in the morning. Crap. Temp had also started dropping in the pit the last ten minutes do to pellets running out. Double crap. So I ran out in my bath robe and refilled and wrapped the brisket. Around 9 am I kicked it up to 250. Then the pit went crazy and jumped to 350 for some odd reason (I’ll be calling Yoder to figure out if something is wrong). Then around 3pm probe 2 which I have in the flat starts going nuts, eventually going as high as 450. I readjusted it, but nothing fixed it. Something’s wrong there too.

I was thinking the brisket would take 15-16 hrs or so, but it just kept climbing slowly. Eventually around 7pm as I was poking it I noticed the point was very tender, but the flat was a little more stiff. Is that normal? We were hungry so I took it off and let it rest for an hour or so. The point was crazy tender, the flat was still absolutely delicious. And as always the real test is Mrs Rev, who loved it and kept eating bits while I was cutting. That’s a win in my book!

View attachment 627857View attachment 627859View attachment 627860
Looks great! First one is the hardest and it's only going to get better! Nice job!

Picked up a 3.99/lb, 12.5 lb brisket from Costco a couple weeks ago and decided to cook it starting last night. I watched Chef Tom‘s videos at ATBBQ and Pitman at Meat Church to learn how to trim it. Seasoned it with Holy Cow and The Holy Gospel. Fired up the Yoder at 10pm and threw it on at 225. Started with Lumberjack competition blend for the first 2-3hrs, then switched to Knotty Wood Plum.

View attachment 627856View attachment 627858

Now here’s where things went slightly sideways. I set an alert for 157 to wake me up so I could wrap it in parchment paper. I woke up around 6:45 to find that the stall hit at 154 around 2:30 in the morning. Crap. Temp had also started dropping in the pit the last ten minutes do to pellets running out. Double crap. So I ran out in my bath robe and refilled and wrapped the brisket. Around 9 am I kicked it up to 250. Then the pit went crazy and jumped to 350 for some odd reason (I’ll be calling Yoder to figure out if something is wrong). Then around 3pm probe 2 which I have in the flat starts going nuts, eventually going as high as 450. I readjusted it, but nothing fixed it. Something’s wrong there too.

I was thinking the brisket would take 15-16 hrs or so, but it just kept climbing slowly. Eventually around 7pm as I was poking it I noticed the point was very tender, but the flat was a little more stiff. Is that normal? We were hungry so I took it off and let it rest for an hour or so. The point was crazy tender, the flat was still absolutely delicious. And as always the real test is Mrs Rev, who loved it and kept eating bits while I was cutting. That’s a win in my book!

View attachment 627857View attachment 627859View attachment 627860

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky