1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First Brine-First smoked chicken, OH MY GOSH!

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by naplesroo, Jan 21, 2007.

1. jaynik

jaynik Smoking Fanatic

That's some beautiful color! I love a brined smoked chicken. I often use a store-bought ritisserie rub when I smoke or grill a beer can chicken.

I use pecan to smoke somewhate interchangeably with hickory. Both are great. I want to try maple next. I was watching bbqu and he did a turkey with a maple brine, smoked with maple wood.

I'm going to have to fire up the smoker in the next week or two!

2. naplesroo

naplesroo Smoke Blower

Thanks Jaynik. It was goooood! I have not tried a beer chick yet. I bought one of those ceramic holders that you set a chick over and you can put beer, wine, juice or whatever in it while you smoke it. One question though, If you brine the bird first, does adding a liquid really help or enhance the flavor? I don't see how it could add but maybe it does. I can see it if you are cooking at a higher temp and didn't brine that it would help keep meat moist and add something. Just curious :?:

3. jaynik

jaynik Smoking Fanatic

Mark,
    I can still get a mild taste of beer flavor even if I brine first. That method is primarily designed to keep the bird from drying out, but does add a little flavor too. I say smoke two with either technique and taste them both. See which one you like better. I seem to love them all!
    Jay

4. Thanks for sharing the pics! It looked mighty tasty to say the least.