First Brine-First smoked chicken, OH MY GOSH!

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by naplesroo, Jan 21, 2007.

1. naplesroo

naplesroo Smoke Blower

Well, I have been using my Big Green Egg now for 5 years and just started smoking successfully with the last two weeks from what I have learned here. THANKS. I have had many great cookouts but now I am thrilled with the smoking results.

I just finished my first brining on a chicken today, 5 hours in a recipe I copied off of this site. I then smoked it for 4 1/2 hours between 225 and 240 on my BGE using pecan chips. It was a great success and one of the best chickens I have done. Moist, flavorful, etc., etc., etc.

Below are pics of the temp, 1/2 way through and then the final product.

And oh yea, to DeeJayDebi, yes the chicken was waving but it lost its hand pretty quick!!

These pics are out of order and can't seem to get in order...oh well :?

Well on to the next successful smoke.

2. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Good Job NaplesRoo -

She looks wonderful! Hi Henie! I like the "fig leaf" on the private parts too!

:lol:

Debi

3. Absolutely Beootiful! [​IMG] Great color!

4. vulcan75001

vulcan75001 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Nice job...What's next on the menu?

5. ultramag

ultramag SMF Events Planning Committee

Good looking yardbird NaplesRoo. Looks like the BGE gets the job done, your hooked for sure now. ;)

6. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Irwin -

Good thing that bird looks friendly - might be keeping you company now that you be spending all you money on "Big Meat" and smokin stuff!

Debi

7. cheech

cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice looking bird, never tried pecan is that pretty good?

8. naplesroo

naplesroo Smoke Blower

Thanks Vulcan. It was great. Next will be more spare ribs and as soon as I get the time I want to conquer a brisket. I travel a lot in my work so sometimes I have only a few hours on the weekend to get things caught up before I leave town again. I need to make sure I have at least 10-12 hours to dedicate for a 6-8 lb brisky! 8)

9. soflaquer

soflaquer Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

What a mouth-watering Yardbird! Great job! Another South Floridian......Awesome!

BTW, when you post photos on the site, attach them in the OPPOSITE direction in which you wish them to appear! Problem solved!

Jeff

10. naplesroo

naplesroo Smoke Blower

Cheech, Thanks. I have used pecan several times on chicken and pork and like it pretty well. Give it a try. I also have some grape but have not tried it yet. I usually use mesquite or pecan. I need to expand and try other woods though.

11. naplesroo

naplesroo Smoke Blower

Thanks Jeff for the cuddo's and also the tip on the pics, I will try that next time. It is good to see your post as a fellow Floridian.

Good smokin,

12. soflaquer

Dido, my Friend!

I forget that some people don't know that trick, perhaps I'll post a "Sticky", to help some other users out.

Jeff

13. That "sticky" would be appreciated so that many miniutes of frustration can be avoided :? . Mabey instructions on how to resize the awwwwesome photos that are submitted would also help? Thanks again for an awesome site!!! Daun

14. soflaquer

OK, you twisted my arm...............I'll post it in the "General Discussion" index.

Jeff

15. Thanks Jeff :) :) !!

16. naplesroo

naplesroo Smoke Blower

Hey Jeff, is there a limit on pics :?: I tried to post 4 and it would only accept 3 of them. :?

17. vulcan75001

vulcan75001 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Mark..
    Thats right....you are only allowed 3 pics per post thru the normal add attaccment...here is a link to image shack..lots of people here use it..it's a photo hosting site..it's all free...you can up load pics...it will resize pics for you...check out the tool bar they offer...lots of nice features...does things all automatic..

http://www.imageshack.us/

Good Luck
    Later
    Richard

18. soflaquer

I am working with the site administrator on that very subject.

Thanks for the free link, Vulcan. I will add that to my new post.

Jeff

19. naplesroo

naplesroo Smoke Blower

Thanks Vulcan, I will check it out! :D

20. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

That is just the cutest chicken - only thing missing is a US flag in one wing. LOL