First Boston Butt with Qview

Discussion in 'Pork' started by bamasmoker77, Sep 21, 2014.

1. bamasmoker77

bamasmoker77 Smoke Blower

Hey guys,

I decided to do a boston butt for my birthday. We were having some friends over for the Bama game and I wanted to do my first BB. 

I bought two when they were on sale. The one I wound up doing was just over ten pounds. A little big, but it turned out great.

I took and cut some grooves in the fat cap. I then gave it a light coating of mustard and a heavy dusting of Jeff's rub. I love using it on my spare ribs, so I figured I would like it on the butt. I wasn't disappointed. 

I then wrapped it and put it in the fridge over night. The next morning I started the smoke (whiskey barrel chips) at 9 in the morning. The MES 30 was set to 220 following the Bear Method I found on the site. I smoked it till about 2:30 then inserted my thermostat.

Once it hit 160 I took the drip pan out and put the BB in it. I added some of my juice to it. It is a combination of Apple juice, honey, butter and brown sugar. I then covered it in foil and put it back in. I also bumped the heat up to 260.

Around 1am the temp finally hit 200 degrees. I pulled it out and checked the bone. it was clean. i let it rest for an hour and then pulled it. I retained the juice from the pan and the juice I made. I poured a little in the next day when I heated it up. It went over great and was very moist. Can't wait for my next BB smoking. 

aceoky likes this.
  2. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

It looked good and turned out great , Bark and all...

However , have you looked at this picture : 
    at the top protion , (eyes of s Skull) , bottom , Jaw Bone of the Skull and above the Jaw are the Teeth .

Couldn't help see it , I look at stuff for patterns.

Have fun and . . .

3. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That's a clean bone! Great looking smoke!

4. bamasmoker77

bamasmoker77 Smoke Blower

Thanks for the comments. I do kinda see what you are talking about. Hope it wasn't possessed. lol

Ya I didn't know the bone would be that clean. It game me confidence that I had hit the mark.