First Boston Butt - "semi-smoke" w/ pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cajun600

Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
So I'm completely new to this crazy thing you guys call "smoking meat"
biggrin.gif
, however after reading these forums been dying to try a "semi-smoke" (1/2 smoke, 1/2 oven) with my new Weber 22.5" kettle grill.  Kroger had boston butts marked down to .99/lb so I grabbed a 9lb bone-in Boston Butt.  Rubbed down with a decent dry rub the day before, and then on she went.  The recipe we used is from the show Cook's Illustrated.  3 hours @ 250 on the weber, 2 hours in the oven, 1 hour resting wrapped in a brown paper bag.  I used a mix of hickory and apple wood chips for the first 3 hours.  I must say, the pork was damn tasty and even had a decent smoke ring/flavor.  The bark was great tasting and had to stop myself from eating all of it.  Because it was so good, wife has approved next purchase: Smokenator 1000!   This should tide me over until i get that Traeger Texas!  Enjoy!

Coming to room temp shortly before going on the grill, marinated overnight with a Kroger Private Selection dry rub (was given to me as a gift)

ff8816a5_IMG_20110303_112328.jpg

And out of the brown paper bag she comes!  loved how the meat pulled in away from the bone you can see on the left

d3d0b8bc_IMG_20110303_184835.jpg

Close up of meat/bone

ba8a5900_IMG_20110303_184842.jpg

We'll be eating many pork themed dishes over the next few days!

7e00d6eb_IMG_20110303_200321.jpg

All in all was a great experience.  I have the recipe in case anyone is looking to try it out and cut the time down.  Will be doing the real thing next time with the smokenator.  Thanks for looking!

The "Smokinator 1000"?????  Sounds like a "Binford 5100!!!"  LOL!  Congrats on the nice smoke, & welcome to the club!

Nice Job!!!

At .99/lb  I would go back and fill the freezer with those bad boys. You can't buy balogna for that!!!!!!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky