First Boneless Beef Rump Roast with Q-View!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

exromenyer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Concord, North Carolina
So after being very successful with smoking pork butts I finally decided to work my way up to a brisket.  I feel this was a good start.  I used a rub that Shoneyboy put out there.  It's a very basic rub I've also used on my pork butts (his recipe was similar to mine).  I fired the smoker up to around 235 degrees and also got the AMNPS going with a pit master blend and a little apple spread throughout it also, just a hint.  I cooked this to 140 IT since my family doesn't like it medium rare.  I took it out after approx 4 hrs when it reached the IT of 140 and then put it on the grill to sear both sides then prepared some of Chef JimmyJ's Au Jus sauce.  IF you haven't tried this, you honestly do NOT know what you are missing.  I added some of the smoked Au Jus sauce to the foil and wrapped it for about 1 hour while I cooked the potatoes and Au Jus on the stove.... Please enjoy the pics.....

The only thing I would say is I would have liked the outer a little crispier however, I'm not sure besides searing it how I get it there but I think after doing more of these I'll figure it out.....

Thank you for looking......

Rump Roast with Rub.....

Vegetables ready to be smoked.....

Firing up the AMNPS......

YUMMMMMMM

Ready to close the lid.....

Mixed the broth, paste, thyme and bay leaves on the stove then poured into the foil pan an hour later......

Au Jus prepared to smoke.....

These are the potatoes I grew in my garden this year!!!!

On the Weber for a quick sear.......

Au Jus in the stock pot simmering....

Look at the amount of AU JUS sauce after I foiled it... I only added 1/4 cup to the foil wrap!

points.gif

Not sure how much better than this it gets !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Truly hope you enjoyed the narrative and money shots.... Thanks for all of you that offered some needed advice....

Reactions: bigridgeback
Great looking roast!!! I have to agree that JJ's Aus Jus is wonderful! The last couple batches I've made I used a nice porter instead of wine and it was fantastic!

Now, I am extremely hungry! That roast is fantastic looking. I can only imagine, through my saliva, how good that tasted. Thank you for posting such good pictures.

Now, I am extremely hungry! That roast is fantastic looking. I can only imagine, through my saliva, how good that tasted. Thank you for posting such good pictures.
WoW, Thank you for the nice words! It was my first roast, I've really been apprehensive after I have heard how many people pull them out of the smoker and throw them in the backyard because they ruin them (roasts and briskets).... I really enjoyed it, was easier than a pork butt and it did taste as good as it looked! Also got a lot of help from the SMF folks too, they are awesome!!!

Looks good.. but I gotta ask....is that a brown gravy you put over the roast or you thicken up the au jus you made?
I did two things.... I poured the Au Jus in a bowl for dipping and then thickend the rest of it... What you see in the pictures is the only thing I used. Not using that Au Jus would have in my opinion ruined it...... It actually got thicker than I wanted but when I make gravy, I only use butter and flour to make a roux........ Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky