First Big Cheese Smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
Well after seeing all the recent posts on smoking cheese I thought what the heck why not. I have never done it before so I jumped in both feet first, like I usually do. :emoji_laughing:

I was at Sam's club and decided to see what they had for cheeses and they actually had some nice cheeses at reasonable prices so I grabbed a bunch.

IMG_20200109_140214980.jpg

IMG_20200110_081820081.jpg

We are having a cold front moving through with temps in the low 60's for highs, so I decided to get it started early. Added apple pellets to the amazn tube and put a pan with blue ice in ziplocs above it for smoke dispersion and cooling.
IMG_20200110_122800894_HDR.jpg

After 3 hours I pulled them, highest temp was 70ish so no oil leakage.

IMG_20200110_123419454.jpg

And this after resting in the fridge for 24 hours, although it appears that one of the colby jack pieces had a severe shrinkage issue.....Sue?

I just saw her snacking on it a few minutes ago, so it will not make it through the day, poor thing.....the cheese I mean. :emoji_laughing:
IMG_20200111_103551328.jpg

So I spent the morning vacuum packing what was left....
IMG_20200111_111710873.jpg

Thanks for lookin'

Now off to the hopscotch chickens that I just threw on the REC TEC for tonight's dinner.

John

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_111726652.jpg
    IMG_20200111_111726652.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 8
Hi John, Looks good, I do pretty much the same, apple pellets, 3 hrs. Now I only do Gouda, & Swiss.
After vac packing, I let rest for at least a week in the frig. Aged like a fine wine.

Nice looking cheese run! One thing I have found is using gloves is a must for long term storage. I was in a hurry once and after 3 months the Swiss had finger prints on it! Lol.......

P.S. 60 degree cold front, that's funny! we just had a 63 degree heat wave here in Buffalo,NY today.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Nice work. Looks so good and a nice assortment. We love smoked cheese at our place. I did about 10KG in winter and we are down to the last 4 blocks, bring on Winter.

Looks good. I started out with multiple flavors of chesse as well. Now I smoke only Mozzarella.

Hi John, Looks good, I do pretty much the same, apple pellets, 3 hrs. Now I only do Gouda, & Swiss.
After vac packing, I let rest for at least a week in the frig. Aged like a fine wine.
Thanks Rico, I am planning to do the same if I can keep it away from my wife...:emoji_rolling_eyes:

Nice Cheese John!!
Nice Job!
Like.
Only thing around here more expensive than meat---Cheese!!
Bear
Thank you Bear for the like!

I know what you mean about cheese prices , as that is what has kept me from doing it sooner. But Sams prices on the where pretty good so I bit the bullet.

Looks fantastic!! One of these days I’ll give cheese a try.
Thanks for the like jcam222!

Winter is the time for it, especially here in the desert.

looks great John, nice selection. Enjoy!
Thanks for the like Jim!

I was going for a big selection for the first time to evaluate what was best moving forward.

John

Nice looking haul. Like
Thanks for the like gator! And the nice comment

Nice looking cheese run! One thing I have found is using gloves is a must for long term storage. I was in a hurry once and after 3 months the Swiss had finger prints on it! Lol.......

P.S. 60 degree cold front, that's funny! we just had a 63 degree heat wave here in Buffalo,NY today.....
Thanks for the like fullbore!

Fingerprints...too funny. I didn't wear any we will see if mine show up. :emoji_laughing:

Oh and this is the only time of year I mention the weather....somehow saying it is 110 degrees doesn't get the same effect.

Tillamook is my favorite cheese brand for smoking. It behaves wonderfully in the smoker and Sam's has 2.5 pound bricks instead of the 2 pound bricks at my grocery stores.
Yes it is a really good cheese in general, and I was hoping it would smoke well. So thanks for confirming that. And at just under 8 dollars was a good deal....

Nice work. Looks so good and a nice assortment. We love smoked cheese at our place. I did about 10KG in winter and we are down to the last 4 blocks, bring on Winter.
Thanks Jabiru! Hoping this lasts me until next winter. I did get a bit carried away probably should have only done half as much. :emoji_open_mouth:

John

Reactions: fullborebbq
Wow John, that's quite a piece of work! What do you do with all that cheese after it's vac-sealed? Freezer? Like, RAY

Wow John, that's quite a piece of work! What do you do with all that cheese after it's vac-sealed? Freezer? Like, RAY
Thanks for the like Ray!

I did some reading and apparently cheese is only good for about 6 months in the freezer even when vac packed (not sure of the validity of that, as meat is good for up to 2 years). Need to get a validated source to be sure. It did say harder cheeses like gouda, asiago, etc. freeze better, so I put all of the havarti in the fridge with most of the remaining, I did one block of the asiago, gouda, sharp, medium, and colby jack in the freezer.

As far as refrigerated goes people here on the board have said they have had it in the fridge for multiple years....

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky