First Batch in new curing chamber.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Robert H

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
Hey all
I have a batch of lonza in the curing chamber finally and am looking forward to the process. I have not finalized any of the placements of wires or components yet, as this will be a learn as you go thing, I am pretty sure that there are contstants with any chamber and also that each one has things that are unique to it. Thanks to all who commented and made suggestions, I appreciate it. So, for instance, the huge humidity spike immediately after placing the meat inside. Humidifier does not go on unless I open the door. It is in my garage, so it is stll pretty dry. The Eva Dry mini has collected a fair amount of liquid so far. I have a temporary fan inside that goes on for about a minute every hour. I will be keeping a close eye on it until this batch is done. Everything is cycling normally, so hopefully will have some pics to share of the lonza. I went with 2.5% sea salt, ground juniper berries, fresh crushed garlic, hot pepper and black pepper and of course, cure#2. When I rinsed it all, I patted dry and gave a very liberal coating of more hot pepper and black pepper.
20210309_170825.jpg

First cleaned off with water, then vinegar. Let sit and then tied and put in net. I did not use a casing on it, just spiced. I did this way last time, in my crawlspace and was the best I have made to date. Will see how this goes.

So far, pretty good. As in my other thread(should have just continued on this one), I had a fair amount of white fuzzy mold on all three pieces. I have cleaned them with vinegar and continued on. I will try putting a casing on next time to compare the difference. I am unsure if I had set the humidity higher from the start would have prevented this or not.

So far, pretty good. As in my other thread(should have just continued on this one), I had a fair amount of white fuzzy mold on all three pieces. I have cleaned them with vinegar and continued on. I will try putting a casing on next time to compare the difference. I am unsure if I had set the humidity higher from the start would have prevented this or not.
I'd guess your fine. I'm not sure if I would clean white mold off at all. It's up to you, but from what I've read, mold colors other than white should be treated/removed. but I expect that means if you have the meat in a casing though. You're not going to ruin anything by continuing to remove all mold (in my mind).

Looking forward to a successful conclusion of your cure!

I am curious as to why you don't want mold growth? Good mold has many benefits. It is like a protective blanket that keeps pathogens off the surface of the casing. It slows moisture loss for more even drying. It preforms vital flavor enhancing chemistry via. enzymes. It raises the pH of fermented salami by consuming some of the lactic acid raising the final pH when the salami is finished drying. It has bioprotective qualities by releasing small doses of penicillin. It keeps the casing moist and slows case hardening. It pulls moisture from deep in the muscle to the surface so it aids drying in a more even manner....

Well, I cleaned it off because it was fuzzy and had an odor to it. I suppose what I could have done is let one go and cleaned off the other two. I am quite sure that the meat is fine though.

Ok, so i took one of my Lonza's out and put on the scale yesterday and was at 30% weight loss, so I just had to cut into it and have a taste. I put them in the chamber roughly three weeks ago. I also reported in another thread that I had some white mold appear and that I washed it off with vinegar and returned to the chamber. You can see from the pic, that the mold came back and was white for a little while and then turned greenish. I washed the mold off this piece and let it sit out on counter for an hour or so.. Then on to the slicer and I have to say it is excellent. It is firmer on the outside, but not hard at all and the texture is consistent all the way through and no hint of any moldy taste. For a first run, not bad, but I got some great feedback from more experienced members here and will do the next run differently. I will try some with either a casing on them or wrapped in a collagen sheet, so that the any mold grows on the outside and I wont have the seasoning I put on the outside washed off. I also set my humidity control lower than I should have and will change that. I think I might also coat one with mold 600 just to see how that goes, although some say you shouldn't with a muscle cut, but I want to see just for myself.
I am going to try some salami soon, and am just going to use hog casing, because I have some on hand. Sorta like a mini salami so I can get a feel for it until I get some bigger casings.
20210327_182152.jpg
20210327_182129.jpg
20210327_184208.jpg

Reactions: indaswamp
I also reported in another thread that I had some white mold appear and that I washed it off with vinegar and returned to the chamber. You can see from the pic, that the mold came back and was white for a little while and then turned greenish.
If the mold starts off white, then turns green, it was more than likely a good mold. Even Penicillium nalgiovense (mold 600) will turn a light colored green sometimes. There is also a relatively new mold discovered they named Penicillium Salami that is a light green mold.

But, being wild mold, there is always a chance it could be a bad one....

There is an amazing amount of green molds on Italian dry cured products.

But for the home artisan, mold 600 is the safest....

Looks good....
Definitely a little case hardening. 30% in 3 weeks is super fast IMO. The outer edge is probably close to 45-50% loss while the middle might not be 30% loss. I would vac bag to equalize......

You can use hog casing for salami and make salamini...which is what cacciatore salami is...a pocket salami. Smaller casings are more prone to case hardening. It should take 14-16 days to dry to 35% weight loss for a 32-35mm casing. Mold will help to slow drying and help prevent case hardening. The mold will pull moisture evenly from the center....

Thanks for the input. It will be fun to try the smaller ones first. On the lonza, it does appear harder but it is very consistent inside to the center. If it had been softer, I would have put back in chamber. I will let the other two hang another week just to compare.

That is a great first effort. You learned a lot from this first run, and in my mind, that is more important that a perfect cure on the Lonza. It still looks delicioso.

I used 29 - 32mm hog casings for my second batch, They are easy to work with but I'd advise deciding on how you want to truss/link them in advance of the actual stuffing There's several good vids on Youtube done by home enthusiasts - typically old Italian men. Indaswamp's curing/drying times appear right on.

Right on...it's all a learning experience. And this is why it is best to start with whole muscles...a whole muscle will still be safe if a little wet in the middle...salami, not so....

Yes...not perfect but a good learning experience. I have made umai soppresatta and chorizo and had good results, but its a pretty easy peasy process. Will be ordering some mold 600 and might even do some next weekend if it ships quick. Hoping the borders open up soon. It is so convenient to take a trlp across to Detroit and go to Butcher Packer Supply and get everything I need.

Yes...not perfect but a good learning experience. I have made umai soppresatta and chorizo and had good results, but its a pretty easy peasy process. Will be ordering some mold 600 and might even do some next weekend if it ships quick. Hoping the borders open up soon. It is so convenient to take a trlp across to Detroit and go to Butcher Packer Supply and get everything I need.

That is convenient! Kid in a candy store!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky