First Batch: Brown Gelatin?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gizzygone

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 3, 2017
MA
Just finished curing my first attempt at Bacon: I had a 10lb belly that I cut in half: Both used the AmazingRibs Maple bacon recipe. One slab I cured by measuring ingredients. By the second slab I started having doubts and followed the Curing Calculator: I ended up weighing the ingredients.

Slab 1 got 6 days (per the recipe), and Slab 2 (which was thicker) got 7 days in the cure. Both were smoked immediately after pulling and rinsing the cure off at 225*.

I went to slice up Slab 1 yesterday, after having cooled in the fridge overnight and noticed a brown gelatinous “goo” on it. I assumed it was just congealed fat (although it had a looser consistency), but I got to reading and heard that “brown slime can be a sign of a bacterial growth”.

Slab 2 also had the substance on it.

Am I overthinking this? Is it normal to have a brown/clear goop on your bacon after cooling? Or did I lose a batch somehow?

I'm not sure what causes it, but my bacon this weekend had a thin layer of brown gelatin on the bottom of the pan after chilling. I personally wouldn't describe it as slime, it's a semi solid sheet of gelatin. I'm sure it tasted good, but it wasn't enough to save for cooking so I tossed it to the chickens.

I can't imagine a cured and smoked piece of meat culturing enough bacteria overnight to leave a slime or biofilm.

Reactions: gizzygone
I just scraped the gelatin away: I’m told it’s just fat.

We had about 6-7 people eat it, and so far we’re still kicking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky