First Bacon Jitters...............

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

olddaddy

Fire Starter
Original poster
So,  I have been reading over the bacon posts and two weeks ago put 6lbs of pork belly into the Pop's brine per this forum.

Tomorrow I have to do the smoking and I'm worried about doing a good job.  My smoker is an ancient Brinkmann that has a variable element installed to allow temp control.  I've got a nice big thermometer mid-way up the body and two racks above a chip pan, and if needed a water bowl.  I've been reading cold/hot smoke, times, pellicule formation and starting to worry a bit.  My plan is to get temps up into the 140 smoke range and hope for the best.  Any last minute advice for an absolute novice?

Here is my posted first bacon with Qview and some notes towards the end.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/143966/foams-first-attempt-at-bacon

As long as you stay below 140 IT on your bacon so it doesn't render you'll be fine.  There is a smoking chart that Bearcarver did that it unbelievable  for step by step heat increases to maximize the possible smoke absorption. Remember the magic absorption number is 100 to 140, so he set it up to start at 100 then increase slowly to max out at about 130. Keeps goofy folks like me from ruining it by cooking the bacon.

I'll see if I can find it, Seems to me that Disco has used it on one of his smokes also.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

I swear That is the hardest post I have ever tired to find, its simple when I don't need it, but I can't ever find it when I do!

So we'll try memory and that's a terrible thing, you should be scared.

Seems it started at high to warm and dry out the smoker for 45 mins., then dropped to 100 degrees allowed to equalize and then bacon added.

First two hours at 100

two hour at 110

two hour at  120

two hour at 130

You are looking to maintain 100 to 130 degrees IT

Watch your meat IT's closely, 130 should be your max.you can open and close the door as necessary to make sure you don't render the bacon.

If you go with a cold smoke, remember that your smoker needs to be at least about 100 to cause a convection so that the air will move and allow your smoke to stay lit and work its magic. Again remember the magic numbers 100 to 140 for smoke absorption.

Good luck, and you'll do fine.  Once you do bacon, you are an certified addicted smoker.

Last edited:
I did a strait cold smoke because I have an offset that I converted to propane with a turkey fryer burner and it will not run that low without going out. I did somewhere around 11-12 hours and it turned out great. you can see my post a few down from this one.

If you have a smoke generator, use it.... smoke the belly below 70-80 degs for 4-12 hours... your call on the smoke... be sure the belly is dry on the surface... place it in front of a fan for an hour or two, on a rack, then into the smoke....
Partially freeze to slice.... bake in the oven, on racks, at 250 to 350 deg.... many schools of thought on this... At least you don't have to clean the stove top after cooking.... Bride bakes bacon at 375 for 20 ish minutes... there is some concern about forming nitrosamines at higher temps... which are not "healthy"......... next month they may be a cure for balding... who know ???? I sure don't.....
Some folks smoke bacon to 135 ish..... I tried it and prefer the cold smoke method....
Like everything else on the forum.... wait 10 minutes for a different recipe.... there is no wrong recipe... it's all personal preference...

Dave

Well,   I took all the good advice from  you guys and did six pounds of bacon on Sunday.  I started out low at 100 degrees and worked my way up to just under 140 over about seven hours.  Internal temps were up in the very low 130s.  I let it cool and refrigerated for two days.  Two of the smaller pieces got sliced up after being in the frig for an hour, the rest went into the freezer for future use.  I have no pics of the fried end product.  The two heathen females I live with ate it all before I could get a pic!  It tasted fantastic.  BLTs tomorrow for sure.  I am taking some up to my son this weekend, to celebrate his return from Afghanistan.  I appreciate the help from you all, I have  an amns en route and will be doing more bacon real soon.

The two heathen females I live with ate it all before I could get a pic! 
th_HaHAAHaa.gif

Give a big thanks to your son for his service to our country..... Glad the bacon turned out good......

Dave

I am about to do my second batch and realized I never really reported back on the first!  It was incredibly tasty and gone in a minute, with help from friends and family.  Bacon as a gift?  Why of course!  I have ten pounds of pork belly to collect tonight on the way home, into the brine and in a couple of weeks...........BACON!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky