1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First Baby Back Smoke!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by TNJHubert, Feb 10, 2018.

1. TNJHubert

TNJHubert Newbie

With everyone's help my first baby back ribs smoke came out AMAZING! Here's the low down:

I picked up 4 racks, about 3 to 4lbs each. The day before I peeled the membrane and seasoned top and bottom with these seasonings:

1/8 cup salt
    1/4 cup white sugar
    3 TBSP packed dark brown sugar
    1 TBSP ground black pepper
    2 TBSP onion powder
    1 TBSP garlic powder
    1 TBSP chili powder
    1 TBSP smoked paprika
    1/2 TBSP cumin

Seasoned well and placed them in a foil pan covered for about 24 hours.

The next day I fired up the smoker, heating to 225. I placed pure concentrated apple juice in the water pan, and apple wood chips in the tray.
    Smoked them for 3 hours, pulled them and placed them meat side down on butter, brown sugar and some of my seasoning, and poured more apple juice concentrate on the bone, about 1/2 cup. Wrapped in foil and smoked an additional hour. When they finished I pulled them, mopped with sweet baby rays and threw them on a piping hot grill for about 5 minutes then brought them in and served! They were amazing and everyone raved about them. I was even told they were Gordon Ramsey approved

Attached Files:

tallbm and SmokinAl like this.
  2. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nicely done!
    Your ribs look excellent!
    Al

3. TNJHubert

TNJHubert Newbie

Thanks! I was kind of bummed because one of the foil packets came open and I didn't notice, and it dried them out. Other than that, they were superb!

4. sauced

sauced Master of the Pit

Way to go!!! Great looking ribs!!! Yes, I too have had the leak in a foil pouch many times. I now double wrap with heavy duty foil.

5. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Your ribs look awfully good from here.

Point for sure.

Chris