First attempt at yard bird

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nawlinsborn73

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
This was my first attempt at trying chicken on my MES 40

The skin is not as crisp as I'd like it to be. I dried them overnight in the ref. I put some corn starch in my rub when I seasoned this morning

Smoked using hickory chips and pellets

1 hour at 225 (first 30 minutes door was ajar to allow skin to dry out more) then bumped to 250 for 30 minutes

After 30 minutes at 250 I bumped to 275 until internal was 160 in the breast.

Total cook time was 2 hours and 17 minutes.
Although the skin is not the crispiest, it's not like leather either. The meat of the chicken is pretty amazing though.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
957D7415-DB8A-4C5F-ADDC-1486B5AD3909.jpeg

Hey, better than my first attempt I dried the hell out of mine.
If you are looking for crispy skin you're gonna have to smoke then at 225-250 for the first hour to 45 minutes then bump it up too 325-350 to finish them off. Or you can smoke them at 225-250* then put them under the broiler to finish/ crisp them up.

Reactions: PPG1 and JLeonard
They sure look good, but you need to crisp the skin up on a hot grill or in your oven. Take them out of the smoker at around 145-150, then finish on the grill.
Al

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky