First attempt at spare ribs

Discussion in 'Grilling Pork' started by mrchuckierock, May 30, 2013.

1. So after doing some reading, I decided to try my hand at some spare ribs. I got lucky and my local grocery store sells them pre trimmed with the tips in the package. Pretty neat if you ask me and I also got my little snack while cooking. Enough chat, here's some qview.

Rubbed and ready for the smoker. Had to cut them in half so they would fit on the ECB. Smoked in the 250-275 range with applewood.

Foiled with Chef JJ's foiling juice which was delicious!

After they were done cooking. I added the ketchup, mustard and cider vinegar to the foiling juice for the glaze. I glazed every 15 minutes for the last hour because my family likes em saucy.

Had to explain to my girlfriend what a smoke ring was and assure her they weren't underdone

The plate! With home made apple slaw and polynesian Mac salad. The ribs were so tender they kind of fell apart while slicing. Still delicious

Thanks for checking out my ribs, any questions feel free to ask.

-Charlie

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Outstanding Job! That all looks great. Glad you enjoyed the Foiling Juice...JJ

3. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Those looked good. I'mm breaking my stash out of the freezer [​IMG]

4. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice smoke ring........

5. Thanks guys! I've never had ribs that tender before so this was a real treat.

JJ, that foiling juice mixed up KC Style tasted better than every bottle of store bought sauce I've ever tasted man. You got yourself quite a gem there.

6. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yummmm....love some great ribs!  You did great!

Kat

7. Thanks Kat!

8. My first honest smile of the day: "Had to explain to my girlfriend what a smoke ring was and assure her they weren't underdone"

How did she like them?

9. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

DUDE!! That's one heck of a first attempt. They look absolutely perfect. GOOD JOB!!!!

10. She loved them. She generally loves everything I put in front of her, but those ribs recieved especially high praise. Glad we were able to make you smile!

11. Thank you!!

12. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Don't know how I missed this one. Those look great!

Red

13. Thanks Red!

14. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

X2.
    I still have the assure my wife its done.

15. sqwib

Kudos my friend

16. Thanks Sqwib! I'm sure I'll have to continue reassuring her too haha

17. sqwib

Show her this pic and ask her if she thinks the outside is raw.

18. I think you need to send some up to New York for a taste test and we'll send down our official verdict

19. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow. Way better than my first attempt. I bow to you!

Disco

20. Thanks disco! No need to bow to me though, I owe my success to everyone here.