First attempt at smoking a whole turkey today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grillfanatic

Original poster
May 28, 2011
Northern IN
For almost 10 years now we have had Thanksgiving dinner for our families at our house and have been deep frying turkeys which always come out great.  I have been smoking pork and beef for several years and never braved up to a turkey- well I decided I am going to give it a try. This has always sounded good but is normally cold and windy here around the holiday season and opt not to use the smoker. We normally do two turkeys, one buttery garlic injected and one cajon injected.  I picked up a turkey last night and wanted to do a trial run so I have it on the smoker now, been on for about 3 hours so far.  I only found limited ideas and recipes and due to time limitations I did not brine the bird but as most guys seem to suggest.  I did rub it well with a olive oil/rub combination going over the entire outside and also under the skin. 

It is pretty windy today so I built a large surround for the firebox side of my smoker to help keep temps more stable. My smoker is a barrel type with side fire box (CharGriller Super Pro).  This smoker has always been a handful getting temps up high and staying steady, especially on a windy day!, so it has been a chore today to get them in the 250-300 range as it seems most guys suggest for a turkey.  I tried to read several writeups on smoking a turkey but does not seem to be too many on this forum. 

With pork and beef I have been a fan of the method to smoke several hours until meat hits a desired temp then wrap in foil and makes it extremely tender.  I could not find anything like this about smoking a turkey so was curious about this- does anyone wrap their turkey along the process- if so at what temp?  If not then I am fine with that- just trying to avoid it being dried out when I pull it off.  Smoker has been in the 240-280 range since start time.  I do have a large water pan that fits the depth of the lower part of the barrel and to help isolate direct heat from the fire on the side- though I found that by moving it over an inch or two as opposed to pushing it up tight to the hole in the side of the grill will help get temps up a bit higher instead of letting the water regulate temp as much. I also have a long flexy pipe I added from the chimney going down the grate level. Not trying to ramble on here haha just giving a picture of what my setup is.

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated!  I will try to snap a pic of it when it is ready- looked very good at the 3 hour mark when I checked water pan.

does anyone wrap their turkey along the process- if so at what temp? 
I have never wrapped a turkey.  I do brine smoked turkeys and inject fried turkeys.  Don't know why - just the way I've always done it and it works.  I do one of each every Thanksgiving and the crowd goes wild.  Plus it frees up the oven for other goodies.

Thanks for the info.  The turkey turned out great IMO especially being first try!  I wrapped the legs about 3 hours in as some have suggested and left the rest open.  It was a 12 lb turkey and was done in just about 4 hours which I thought was a bit too soon but was very windy so my temp readings in the barrel may have been skewed a bit.  I have digital thermometers and I lay one probe on the grate near the meat and another in the meat.  I also have regular dial thermometer on the grate on the other side to compare temp variations.  Taste wise I felt was very good and enjoyed the wings and legs with the smoke and is normally something I dont get too excited about.  I took a few pics and may try to post them up later. Since it got done soo early I wrapped it in foil and it sat in the oven (no heat) for a few hours before I carved it and was still hot and juicy though the breast was a bit dry.  As long as weather plays nice I am going to try this again on thanksgiving, very tasty!

Well I was trying to post pics haha.  I have always used photobucket for pics on forums but on this one it is only showing the links and not the pics

Edit- I just read in the info section how to insert pics direct from computer and this seems to work ok.

I used a base of charcoal in the firebox with hickory and apply wood chunks

I went fairly light on the rub as I didnt know what to expect and could have used more spice but hey it was a first time deal and now I know.

The finished pics below are after it was removed from the smoker and sat covered in foil just over 2 hours.  Leftovers today were still great.

Last edited:
"Taste wise I felt was very good and enjoyed the wings and legs with the smoke and is normally something I dont get too excited about." Sounds like success to me! 
439.gif

Your temps might have been a bit high,  plan a 12# er for about 6.5 hrs cooking @ ~250*. 

Thanks guys! Yeah the temp being up in 4 hours sure caught me off guard!  We just finished a late lunch and werent hungry yet haha thats why it got to sit inside for a few hours wrapped up. It was very windy and I built a large box/shield to go around the firebox side of the smoker to help out but feared my temps were off.  On the other hand- next to the turkey in one of those pictures was a small pork roast, about 7 lbs, and it finished up in about 8 hours (last hour and a half wrapped up in a foil pan) but I bumped the temp down to about 225 once turkey was off.  I was affraid the high temps would make the outside too dry and sprayed it down every hour to keep it moist and turned out just fine.

On a side note- one thing I love about this smoker is throwing on a few hotdogs on mid way through for a snack or mid day meal. I put them close to the outlet of the firebox- awesome taste with all the heat and smoke flowing right over them and I would definately suggest this to anyone with this type of grill just to try out.

I found this forum post from last year a while back and it's got indispensable information for doing turkeys.  Hope you find it useful.  I pinged the admins about making this a sticky it's got SOOOO much good info in it!!

http://bit.ly/UH1kSK

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky