First attempt at pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tpjames

Original poster
Nov 27, 2016
Hi Guys,

I have to say that I spent a lot of time reading different posts on how to make the best pulled pork. This was my first attempt and it came out fantastic thanks to all the advice on this forum.

I used a rub consisting of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayanne pepper, etc.

I put it In my masterbuilt pro 30" electric smoker at 9:30pm last night at 225 degrees. After 3 hours I put the temp probe in and started spraying a mixture of apple juice and rye whisky at about 3 to 1 ratio.

When I got up in the AM, after putting more chips in, I was at about 150. At 164 it stalled for about an hour. At 168, I foiled both pieces while giving them one last generous spray of apple juice and rye whisky.

I had 2 bone in butts, one 7lbs and one 5lbs. I took the 5lb out at about 14hrs and the 7lb at about 15hrs, both at 205 degrees. Wrapped them in towels and into a cooler for 1.5hrs.

The bone pulled out effortlessly and the pork fell apart with little effort. It was the most tender and moist pulled pork I have ever had. I added a finishing sauce derived primarily of worchestire and salt, pepper, paprika, cayanne and a blend of spices.

I put sweet baby rays on the side to add to the Brioche buns as desired with a spicy cole slaw. Great meal for Sunday football.

Thank you to all who have posted their combinations. I took a bit from all and added my own twist and man were my buddies impressed.

Here is the before and after :

Bark was fantastic. And I've got leftovers for days!

Now time to relax with a few cold ones.

-Tyler

Last edited:
Reactions: redheelerdog
Congrats, this site is terrific to help people get up and running.  Very experienced people here that are willing to share and help. 

Now you can start playing with fine tuning and experimenting.  We use a finishing sauce, some people like it, others do not.  We like extra smoke, after pulling I put foil pans back in the smoker a few minutes, some people brine, rubs can be mixed differently for a little different taste, etc.

Once you get the basics down it is not hard to eat your "mistakes" and do it over again.

Thanks for sharing your success..

Apple juice and rye....BRILLIANT!!!! There's a product made here in NJ called Laird's Applejack. I'm thinking that might go well too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky