First attempt at pulled pork and need some help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good decision! It's looking good but needs some good bark on it. You should be getting that soon!!!

Good decision! It's looking good but needs some good bark on it. You should be getting that soon!!!
Yeah I've been waiting for the bark to start. Hope it comes bc I wanna see what the hype is all about.

Well here is the finished product. Started at 430 this morning pulled it at 6pm with an IT at 205. Bark was great, meat was moist and flavorful. Ate four sandwiches and now cannot move. I will def be doing a butt again. Enjoy the pics!!!

Dang Rico...this is looking really, really good!!!!

Great decision on the wrapping!  If you are a bark man you will not regret this decision; however, if you are an impatient man you very well may regret the decision!

Hang in there buddy!!!

Lookin' great so far!

Bill

Thanks guys. Had a ton of leftovers to so put them in the food saver and will enjoy for a while.

2 things.
(This is all personal preference)

1) a trick I learned .... Or what I do is after I put the shoulder on the smoker is add a 1/2 inch layer of brown sugar on the top of the shoulder.
I do this after the shoulder is set in the smoker because otherwise the sugar falls off.
What I feel this does is keeps the steam in the meat it's almost like a candy coating if you do fat up most of the carmalized sugar goes in the garbage with the fat but also crumbled up in the pulled pork is quite good
Above It shows the "candy coating"
I believe above is the brown sugar layer on the shoulder
I smoke unfoiled for 6 hours IT of 190 and let set until IT reaches 140 it pulls great for me at that point

2) I noticed that if you vacuum seal when hot it seems to lock a lot more moisture in,
I make 5-6 shoulders at a time and freeze them that has been the best bet as far as storage

Well yours looks great!
Keep up the good work

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky