First attempt at Italian dry cured sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

CFLJOHN512

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 9, 2020
I absolutely love charcuterie. Dry cured Italian sausage is probably my favorite.
I decided to do my research at work for a few hours. Thank you YouTube. I had an 8lb butt at home, so I grabbed a beer and started cutting up the butt. Deboned, separates the fat and lean meat, then hand cut it all into 1-2cm cubes. (I see a meat grinder in my near future) it came out to about 3.5 lbs lean meat and about 3/4 lb of fat.

I added this to the meat:
3.2% salt by weight
2 tbsp coarse ground pepper
1 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp sweet paprika
4 oz red wine

into the fridge for two days, then I’ll stuff the natural hog casings and hang for 4-8 weeks.
I thought about cold smoking 2-3 just to see how they are. Maybe 2-3 hours. If anyone has done this, I’d appreciate any tips you might have. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• D6FEAC70-E109-4F10-A54D-AD8811D84DB8.jpeg
    D6FEAC70-E109-4F10-A54D-AD8811D84DB8.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 899D8438-59D8-4DF6-A987-DA21BCA3A5BE.jpeg
    899D8438-59D8-4DF6-A987-DA21BCA3A5BE.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 23
CFL, I use the Umai process for my dry cure. I do see that you are not using cure #2 which would prevent deadly bacteria from growing in your sausage.

CFL, I use the Umai process for my dry cure. I do see that you are not using cure #2 which would prevent deadly bacteria from growing in your sausage.
Everything I read said that 3% and higher salt content will act as a cure, with no need for sulfates and nitrates. Am I wrong here?

I just ordered a pound of # 2. It’ll be here tomorrow. I’ll add it before stuffing the casings tomorrow. I just try to avoid adding preservatives like nitrates and sulfates to my foods. I am allergic to sulfates, especially in wine. Gives me a headache, stuffed up sinuses, and just feel blah.

Last edited:
Making dry cured sausage can be done using traditional ways (salt only) but I recommend using Cure # 2. I would rather have a headache than a trip to the hospital. Our immune systems are different nowadays.

My 2 cents

Boykjo

Reactions: CFLJOHN512
Making dry cured sausage can be done using traditional ways (salt only) but I recommend using Cure # 2. I would rather have a headache than a trip to the hospital. Our immune systems are different nowadays.

My 2 cents

Boykjo

This is exactly why I posted this. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like if you’ve been doing dry cured sausages in the same building forever it will have the good bacteria present. So no need for the curing salts. I’d rather be safe than sorry. I appreciate the feedback.

I’ve already added 3% salt to this pork, if I add #2 curing salt this is just going to be like a salt lick. I guess I have to start all over again huh?

No. It will not add any salty flavor. Your good

Boykjo

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t it call for another 3% by weight? With #2 cure being 94% ish table salt it’s going to be like putting about 6% salt.

A cure specifically formulated to be used for making dry cured products such as pepperoni, hard salami, genoa salami, proscuitti hams, dried farmers sausage, capicola and more. These are products that do not require cooking, smoking, or refrigeration. Insta Cure™ No. 2 can be compared to the time release capsules used for colds--the sodium nitrate breaks down to sodium nitrite and then to nitric oxide to cure the meat over an extended period of time. Some meats require curing for up to 6 months. InstaCure #2 contains salt, sodium nitrite (6.25%) and sodium nitrate (1%).
Use 1 level teaspoon per 5 lbs. of meat. 4 oz. of Insta Cure™ will process approximately 120 lbs. of meat.

You'll be using such a small amount of cure #2 you wont know it's in there.

I greatly appreciate the help. Thank you very much guys.

Hey John... Let me just say that you tube can be your best friend... AT TIMES ... other times not so much... when it comes to processing I don't trust any of the videos.. but I do trust MOST of the members here on the forums ... Boykjo and SFLsmkr1 are the two that taught me everything I know (albeit not much but still learning).. and then it was at the Gatherings (live) that are arranged here on the forums...

Speaking of.. we have our 10th annual South Fl. Gathering coming up in Nov. and you are more than welcome to come join us... here's a link to the thread... https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ering-the-big-one-november-13-14-2020.293172/

If you do a search for past gatherings you will see that we do a lot of snack sticks and such at these gatherings. I usually bring all the necessary equipment to do the processing along with a smokehouse.

I’ll have to see what my work schedule looks like a bit closer to go time, but definitely would love to meet some of the guys in FL.

CFL, I'm glad you decided to go with the cure #2, please post your finished product for us food junkies!

Ok, added 5g #2 salt. Mixed it up really well, soaked the casings for about 30 minutes. Then loaded up my jerky gun and made my first ever sausages. It was actually easier than I thought. I pin pricked them in places I could see air, and hung them in the coolest room of the house with a fan going. It stays at about 65-68 degrees, with plenty of circulation. My girlfriend couldn’t resist a photo op of me hanging my meat. I’ve got to work on uniform sizes next time.

Attachments

• A005F763-ACCE-44EB-862E-CB19C3F73C86.jpeg
    A005F763-ACCE-44EB-862E-CB19C3F73C86.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 16
  • 2CB09F7C-60B4-4D9A-90F8-3405BF11BDC2.jpeg
    2CB09F7C-60B4-4D9A-90F8-3405BF11BDC2.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 16
Looks awesome. Don’t worry about the uniform size, they will taste the same. Waiting to see the finished product.

Kudos for your first attempt. You will be hooked now once you taste them!

If you are going to forgo using cure #1 or #2 it is absolutely crucial you follow sanitary practices and maintain drying temp below 60* as staphylococcus aureus can grow @60* and higher temperature...

I also would not do it without a pH meter to ensure fermentation pH is below 4.6....

*Edit: I see you did add cure. Smart choice.

Last edited:
into the fridge for two days,

One point I'd like to mention here is that putting the meat under refrigeration after adding the starter culture use to be standard practice, but now it is recommended to stuff immediately and go straight to fermentation. The reason for this is to give the starter culture the best chance to out compete the bad bugs. There is a lag time for culture growth, and the lag time is different for each type of bacteria.

I will echo Dave's recommendation for the Marianski Books... Absolute BEST money I've spent for learning the art of dry curing meats. So much knowledge on the hows and whys for every step along the way....It's what gave me the confidence to make salamis safely.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky