First attempt at (cold) smoking trout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zul

Original poster
May 6, 2010
Cloud 9
Thank you all for your warm welcome. I can tell I am among my people united by a common bond...smoked food!

So I blew it yesterday when I got home after work. My intention was to properly document my homemade smokehouse constructed thoughtfully out of the finest cardboard in the UK including detailed shots of its main features however when I caught a glimpse of the beautiful hanging smoked trout I couldn’t wait to get it down and taste it. Without thinking I instantly took it off the hook and brought it inside to be portioned, wrapped and most importantly tasted.

Well here it is. I am sorry I don’t have more pics of my operation, I really am looking forward to sharing them and getting your feedback, but I guess this will have to suffice for now. Next time I will try not to be such a newb and take my time. To be honest I was shocked that it looked decent!

29b41e8e_SideofSmokedTrout.jpg

For a first attempt I would say not too bad. Next time I think I will rinse the brine a bit longer and maybe trim the fish a bit more as the edges were a bit tougher than the rest of the fish.

Any tips, suggestions and/or comments very appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky