First 12lb bone in butt/ need help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cwalk

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 25, 2010
Little Rock, Arkansas
I have never smoked a butt this size so im very anxious and nervous at the same time. my wife took it out the freezer tonite so hopefully its unthawed by the time I get off work in the moring. ill be using mostly pecan wood and a touch of hickory. Any suggestions on how I should go about smoking this baby, you know dry rub ingredients, and what intenal temp do I need to reach for pulled pork  

WOW man your in for one LONG smoke there. You want to take that beast to about 165 interanlly then foil it till about 200, then let it rest in  follow it to the letter & you'll be good. Don't forget the qview too :)

Is it a single 12 lb butt or a double pack with two butts in it?

Lord help you. I've never seen a butt that size. I would guess you should do it like you would any other, but as previously mentioned that sucker is going to take a long time. I'm already anxious to hear how this smoke turns out for you. And yeah you gotta show us this thing with some kind of reference point in the pics!

Realtorterry gave you the magic formula.... but I would actually take the internal temp. to 205 or 210°, it will pull a lot easier. Just make sure you have a lot of charcoal/fuel handy because that thing will probably take 18-22 hrs. (or more), depending on outside temps. If you have to don't be afraid to put it in the oven after it is foiled - I generally try  to keep stuff in the smoker, but there have been a few times where I had to just bite the bullet and toss it in the oven at 250°. Still comes out tasting nice and smokey.

Here is the rub i use on all pork .  

1 cup yellow mustard

1/2 cup molasses

1 tsp liquid crab boil
Brush this liberally on your pork.

The rub:

1/4 cup hungarian or spanish paprika

1/4 cup onion powder

1/4 cup garlic powder

1/4 cup cbp

2 tsp celery seed

2 tsp ground mustard

2 tsp cumin

1 tsp nutmeg

1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar  

Also you may want to make a big pot of strong coffee. You're in for a long smoke.

icon_cool.gif

Yes I would really like to see this thing. I don't recall ever seeing a huge butt like that one. Make sure that you put something that we can compare the size with in your q-view please.

My only point is that I doubt that it would even be thawed out by now.  It has only been 30 hours, in a fridge, for a 12 lb. piece of meat (ice block).

HOLY HELL THATS ONE MONSTER BUTT.  I'm with everyone else... we MUST SEE this thing!  I think if I saw a butt that big in the store i'd cry, then buy it along with a case of beer... because that's gonna be one long smoke!

Let's see the goods!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky