First “Hairdryer” Smoke of the Season

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 30, 2018
Grande Cache Alberta
Final had to break out the hairdryer to start the MES, I guess winter is finally here. I usually smoke “Willy Welfare” (no name) cheese since the kids when they come to visit will clean me out of smoked cheese. While the cheese was smoking I was reading BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker excellent article on cold smoking cheese chuckling to myself, ideal smoking temperature for cheese is between 68-86F. It was 20F outside so I’m constantly turning the MES on to heat then shutting it off to keep the cabinet temperature above 32F and below 86F. No set and forget on this smoke.
55750011-CE45-45EC-B020-DD5118D4D369.png

Below is a picture of Kraft cheddar and some no name Monterey Jack and Havarti. The cheddar has less moisture content than the other two cheeses so I’m guessing the flaking is a result of moisture content or lack of?
15882BC0-0181-41A7-B90A-0A415C5B5D55.jpeg

Final had to break out the hairdryer to start the MES, I guess winter is finally here. I usually smoke “Willy Welfare” (no name) cheese since the kids when they come to visit will clean me out of smoked cheese. While the cheese was smoking I was reading BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker excellent article on cold smoking cheese chuckling to myself, ideal smoking temperature for cheese is between 68-86F. It was 20F outside so I’m constantly turning the MES on to heat then shutting it off to keep the cabinet temperature above 32F and below 86F. No set and forget on this smoke. View attachment 470061
Below is a picture of Kraft cheddar and some no name Monterey Jack and Havarti. The cheddar has less moisture content than the other two cheeses so I’m guessing the flaking is a result of moisture content or lack of?
View attachment 470066
My smoker does that too when it’s cold I usually use a hot wet rag.. I’ve never seen my cheese flake like that so I can’t help you on that

It’s still not cool enough down here for cheese or lox, but in a couple of months I will make enough to last a year.
Al
One of the few advantages of living in the northern parts of North America, I’m sure I have smoked cheese every month of the year.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky