Firehouse Frog Leg Etouffee

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Had bunch of frog legs in the freezer that needed to be cooked so I pulled out 7 dozen frog legs for a big pot of etouffee to feed the guys. I knew there would be leftovers but that will be frozen for meals at the hunting camp this fall.

The trinity cooking down in butter.
IMG_20220909_160233.jpg

Add the tomato, then flour to make a blonde roux.
Slowly add the stock for the gravy. Simmer that for 20 minutes to let it come together. keep it moving to prevent the roux from burning on bottom until it is well incorporated. Then add the frog legs...
IMG_20220909_163233.jpg

Simmer 30 minutes, then add the sherry wine, green onions and parsley. Cook the rice and serve when the rice is done.
IMG_20220909_172007.jpg

The plate:
IMG_20220909_173606.jpg

I like mine with a little Tabasco Hot sauce and a cap full of sherry on top.

Nice! I love both fried! Would have fried the frog legs tonight but the guys are focused on weight loss...oh well, now we have a couple meals for the camp.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Nice! I love both fried! Would have fried the frog legs tonight but the guys are focused on weight loss...oh well, now we have a couple meals for the camp.
I won't turn down frog legs anyway they are prepared. Was talking to some forum friends the other night and told them frog legs were in top 5.......they couldn't wrap their minds around that

Prepared right-they are just so sweet and succulent! I would need to think about how where I would rate them though. So much good food around these parts!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Love frog legs and to me they have a distinct flavor similar to chicken, but not the same. I have only eaten them fried, though. Love etoufee as well, so that sounds like a great combination...

Had bunch of frog legs in the freezer that needed to be cooked so I pulled out 7 dozen frog legs for a big pot of etouffee to feed the guys. I knew there would be leftovers but that will be frozen for meals at the hunting camp this fall.

The trinity cooking down in butter.
View attachment 643348
Add the tomato, then flour to make a blonde roux.
Slowly add the stock for the gravy. Simmer that for 20 minutes to let it come together. keep it moving to prevent the roux from burning on bottom until it is well incorporated. Then add the frog legs...
View attachment 643349
Simmer 30 minutes, then add the sherry wine, green onions and parsley. Cook the rice and serve when the rice is done.
View attachment 643350
The plate:
View attachment 643352
I like mine with a little Tabasco Hot sauce and a cap full of sherry on top.
That's gonna be a hard no for me Sir lol

horror.png

View attachment 643363
Me too, I like my frogs jumping in my pond not my plate. Being from lower NY I don't think I have ever seen them on a menu in my life. Crayfish maybe once in my life on a menu here.

I think I was only one of two Long Islanders on this forum and the other got banned...lol

Man, I haven't had frog legs in forever! Now I'm kinda jealous! Frog legs are about like grits...just don't see them around here. But that dish looks tasty!

Ryan

Looks good! Love frog legs!
Thanks yankee!

Love frog legs and to me they have a distinct flavor similar to chicken, but not the same. I have only eaten them fried, though. Love etoufee as well, so that sounds like a great combination...
Thanks GonnaSmoke. Fried is best IMO, especially after a soak in buttermilk. Frogs can pick up the same muddy taste like catfish, this is from a microbe in the water that creates the molecule that gives a muddy taste. This is absorbed through the skin of fish and frogs, but the buttermilk will neutralize that taste.

View attachment 643363
Not feelin froggy eh? LOL!

Me too, I like my frogs jumping in my pond not my plate. Being from lower NY I don't think I have ever seen them on a menu in my life. Crayfish maybe once in my life on a menu here.

I think I was only one of two Long Islanders on this forum and the other got banned...lol
But they are GOOD! LOL!!

Man, I haven't had frog legs in forever! Now I'm kinda jealous! Frog legs are about like grits...just don't see them around here. But that dish looks tasty!

Ryan
Thanks Brokenhandle! I like to post what for me is just a normal meal that a lot of people never see.

Last edited:
Looks Great, Inda!! Like.
I've only had Frog Legs Pan-fried, but just finding some in a restaurant is nearly impossible. We used to shoot a lot of them for the legs, but they were mostly small wild ones---Still taste great though.
My Dad & Brother used .22 cal, and I had to use my BB gun.
That was fine until the snakes showed up. Then I had to call in the Back-ups.

Bear

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky