firebox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gsuders86

Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
Planning my firebox for my smokehouse. I plan on making the outside of the firebox 24x24x24" with the inside being roughly 16x16x16" when all said and done with firebricks, etc. I plan on using a grate to help elevate the fire up from the concrete slab. Would my idea of utilizing the ash dump vent and door work okay, or do I need another vent? If I use the ash dump vent, does the door need a vent? My other thought was to use the door that is attached, but for the to work properly how would the height of the grates have to be in relation to the vents right below the door?

Attachments

• firebox.png
    firebox.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 11
  • vent.png
    vent.png
    285.7 KB · Views: 15
  • door.jpg
    door.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 12
Having your combustion air enter the firebox from below or at the bottom of the box would be best. With the vent you have shown, I would mount it so that the btoom of the vent holes are at the same elevation as the top of you base of fire brick on the bottom. I don't think that you will need additional venting in the door that you have pictured.

You will need some sort of temperature control... Below are several options for controlling smoke and heat AND extra air so you don't get creosote flavored meat.....

SMOKEHOUSE SMOKE PIPE TEE 2.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky