Firebox intake Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fishing1

Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Pensacola Fl
I will be adding a new fresh air intake to my rf. Should this be under or over the grate where the fire will be ????      Thanks Fishing1

Below grate is always best. I try to split it half and half but if ur not getting fresh air under the fire it wont burn or draft right. You'll have cold starts too.

You need air under your fire grate, mine is set up where it pulls air under the grate and some on top. I am going to add an additional vent higher up even with the FB to CC opening as per Dave O's recommendation to help further the efficiency .

Gary

I thot about doing mine like that on top to give it a "push" towards the FB-CC opening Gary but havnt decided yet.

Primary intake below the fire grate but high enough not to be affected by ash buildup.

You can put in a secondary above the fire that you can choke down to give better control, Others have done this and reported good results, I don't see a need for it but to be fair I have never tried it as my pit functions near perfect for my style of cooking.

I actually built a couple vertices smokers years ago where I plumbed fresh air to the top of the flames with 1.25 schedule 80, The pipe pulled air from under the firebox and used the heat of the firebox to suck the oxy rich air up the pipe then exited at the top of the flames. It worked real good, but pipe didn't hold up in the harsh environment of the firebox but a few years. SO I just started raising the intakes higher to get fresh air to the flames. Took a couple years to convince people that it worked, but it's just now starting to catch on

I actually built a couple vertices smokers years ago where I plumbed fresh air to the top of the flames with 1.25 schedule 80, The pipe pulled air from under the firebox and used the heat of the firebox to suck the oxy rich air up the pipe then exited at the top of the flames. It worked real good, but pipe didn't hold up in the harsh environment of the firebox but a few years. SO I just started raising the intakes higher to get fresh air to the flames. Took a couple years to convince people that it worked, but it's just now starting to catch on
I wish I had the B@lls to try it and I would if the performance of my pit was lacking.

Maybe next build!

Last edited:
Feed my fire from the top only once tank is warm. Found heat is even across tank and from top to bottom that way. Its not a reverse flow, not sure what you would call it. Guess fire in a tank as my cooker has a basket inside both ends of the cook chamber.  Had a real problem with even temps till I added stack and started adding air at top only. Does me a good job now.

Do you mean something like this?

I am trying to finish my design for a build I want to finish in time for spring. Would love to try and implement this, with maybe a replaceable tube.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky