Fire/heat management

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

The_Dude

Original poster
Jan 24, 2021
Not really a question but advice to newbie offset cooks. I watched the Mad Scientist BBQ video on fire management on YT and absolute game changer. I could never figure out how to get that perfect thin blue smoke until I watched that video. It's all about hitting that perfect airflow and managing the heat with the vents as open as possible and, this was the big relevation to me, opening the firebox lid/door as well for heat management. Highly recommend for beginners.

Well he is right, but there is a learning curve on every smoker.
I’m glad you figured it out!
Al

Not really a question but advice to newbie offset cooks. I watched the Mad Scientist BBQ video on fire management on YT and absolute game changer. I could never figure out how to get that perfect thin blue smoke until I watched that video. It's all about hitting that perfect airflow and managing the heat with the vents as open as possible and, this was the big relevation to me, opening the firebox lid/door as well for heat management. Highly recommend for beginners.
And here’s another thread with some great info about smoke management.. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/understanding-smoke-management-updated-12-08-14.139474/

Good luck…

Char-Griller 980 GF… Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I have watched mad scientist, chud, and several other videos on fire management. One question I have is how to control the spikes or do those not matter? I get perfect thin blue smoke but if I am trying to smoke at 250, I use an ambient Bluetooth thermometer at grate level and wait until it drops to about 240 and throw a split on. Usually when I throw one on it will spike up to 290-300 then come back down. I really want to try a brisket but I am not as comfortable with it spiking like that. So is it something I should be concerned about (is that normal?) or is there a better way to control that spike?

Reactions: albin
I have watched mad scientist, chud, and several other videos on fire management. One question I have is how to control the spikes or do those not matter? I get perfect thin blue smoke but if I am trying to smoke at 250, I use an ambient Bluetooth thermometer at grate level and wait until it drops to about 240 and throw a split on. Usually when I throw one on it will spike up to 290-300 then come back down. I really want to try a brisket but I am not as comfortable with it spiking like that. So is it something I should be concerned about (is that normal?) or is there a better way to control that spike?
I have the same problem. :(

Personally I wouldn't sweat the spikes it's going to happen to some extent,

Reactions: Displaced Texan
So wait till it drops to 225 and let it swing to 275......No problemo at all. The clean startup and burning is way more important than an even 225.
I have the same problem. :(
See above and below..... All offsets and even reverse flows have swings as new splits are added, the temptation is to try to adjust the air flow each time....resist it.......open the fire box drop on the new split make sure its well lit, close the door and go add another cube of ice to your drink......
Personally I wouldn't sweat the spikes it's going to happen to some extent,
This

Last edited:
I’m about tempted to rehome my reverse flowOK joe because I’m lazy and gettting decent wood down here in Cuba North is hard. But when i get it right it’s so good. Plus the MB 560 presented itself

All offsets and even reverse flows have swings as new splits are added, the temptation is to try to adjust the air flow each time....resist it.......open the fire box drop on the new split make sure its well lit, close the door and go add another cube of ice to your drink......

That's it right there ... I just used the Tractor yesterday and did EXACTLY this ... it was running around 240`

So wait till it drops to 225 and let it swing to 275......No problemo at all. The clean startup and burning is way more important than an even 225.

I agree with this as well...

Swings are a part of life no matter what type of grill/ smoker you have, well except a BGE lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky