Fire does not seem to burn (smokestack question)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yeah looks like your getting it figured out. I'll take a couple of legs and a cold brew!
Jim

Glad you are looking to be on the right track.

What hardwoods do you have access to? It sounds like the beechwood you are using is not seasoned very well, this is a big deal with wood fired smokers. Look around and see what’s out there in your area. Look for BBQ supply shops or even some sporting goods stores have splits. You really do need good quality seasoned wood.

Be looking forward to more of your cooks.

Reactions: Sosolen
Hi all , just wondered , apart from exhaust stack , how do the baffle / tuning plates affect airflow and so the fire....

Hi all , just wondered , apart from exhaust stack , how do the baffle / tuning plates affect airflow and so the fire....
The tuning plates block the air from going up and distribute (or so they should) the air evenly. This causes the airflow to 'break' apart through the holes and thus slowing down.

I actually did a biscuit test as well to test WITH and WITHOUT baffle plates, and the results shocked me 😂
With the baffle plates the biscuits to the right burned almost instantly, while the others didn't even start 'baking'. I guess this partly comes from the radiation of heat of the metal? I'm not sure, but ever since I took out the baffle plates everything is going perfectly, and my cooks are perfect from left to right... Did a chicken yesterday on the right side of my smoker, which would normally have been burned badly... I tried it again just to see if it works and boom... Look at the results...

Attachments

• IMG_20221001_191003.jpg
    IMG_20221001_191003.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20221001_191852.jpg
    IMG_20221001_191852.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220911_191221.jpg
    IMG_20220911_191221.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220911_194722.jpg
    IMG_20220911_194722.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 11
I had the same problem with my "250 Gal Oil drum Smoker" (search for this upload). Mr. Dave mentioned, to lay firebrick on the bottom of the FB. This worked Very well. But, I wasn't getting enough air to the back of the box. So I made a grate out of angle iron, and placed it directly on the firebrick. This was MONEY! The temp is more controllable and the fire burns constant from the front to the back of the FB. Mr Dave, nailed it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky