Fire control.................

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a Char-Griller with a SFB and a few mods.  I have switched from charcoal to wood in it and have a horrible time trying to find a good, consistent temp and smoke no matter what fuel I am using.  I was hoping switching would help me and it hasn't.  I just finished my 4th run with just wood.

This last weekend I ranged from having the vents closed for over 4hrs and opening the lid every ten minutes to dump heat when the temp climbed over 250 on the hot, to having a box fan running outside the thing with temps barely climbing over 180 a few hours later.  I have seasoned, dry, high quality hickory and am using a good therm probe lying on the grates.  It seems like my cooking chamber temp will be really high, 250+, if I have nice TBS, if I have my temps in the 220 range I have white smoke.   I do run some good hot coals before trying to settle the thing down for cooking, I light my fire at least an hour in advance.

Any suggestions from some good fire users? 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky