Fire box size

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

triax

Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
Hi,

I've been reading but I can't find a clear answer. I'm starting a small family reverse flow smoker design from two gas canisters.

The volume available for the firebox is 2282 cubic inches and the volume available for the cooking chamber is 5118 cubic inches (22 galons).

Taking the volume of the CC 5118 * 0.33 gives a minumum volume for the FB of 1689 cubic inches.

Reading Dave's guide ican't see any mention of oversizing the firebox.

Question. Can I oversize the firebox ? or do I need to keep to the volume ratio? I don't need a large smoke so I'm tempted to make the CC even smaller leaving the FB size.

Has anybody got experience of oversized firebox?
Thanks,
T.

Last edited:
Hi,

I've been reading but I can't find a clear answer. I'm starting a small family reverse flow smoker design from two gas canisters.

The volume available for the firebox is 2282 cubic inches and the volume available for the cooking chamber is 5118 cubic inches (22 galons).

Taking the volume of the CC 5118 * 0.33 gives a minumum volume for the FB of 1689 cubic inches.

Reading Dave's guide ican't see any mention of oversizing the firebox.

Question. Can I oversize the firebox ? or do I need to keep to the volume ratio? I don't need a large smoke so I'm tempted to make the CC even smaller leaving the FB size.

Has anybody got experience of oversized firebox?
Thanks,
T.
On smaller smokers it's a good ideal to oversize the firebox. Wont hurt a darn thing other than add weight to the smoker. But it will allow you to build your fire much easier.

On smaller smokers it's a good ideal to oversize the firebox. Wont hurt a darn thing other than add weight to the smoker. But it will allow you to build your fire much easier.

RW knows his stuff... He's built many smokers..

HEY !!!!! RW !!!! Long time no hear from... It must be time for a replay of the last several years.. Start a thread and let us in on your adventures.....

Thanks, Working on the design and will post final images when complete.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky