Fire Basket Idea - Feedback needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ledhead84

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Paris, On
I am working on a design for a charcoal basket for my Mini RF Build (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/103584/mini-patio-rf-build#post_595770)

Doing a little research I came across charcoal maze's looks like a good idea to help control the burn. I also like the idea of just a regular basket. I don't really know what will work best and I don't really want to make two separate baskets so I had an idea to make a regular basked the main frame out of  angle with expanded sheet metal in-between. Then make removable panels that slide in blocking the sides and have plates attached to convert it into a charcoal maze. I’ll be making the basket as big as I can that will still allow for good air flow in the fire box. The outside dimensions will be approximately 14-16” long 6” high and 8” wide.

The green and red panels will be removable to convert to a maze and block air flow from the side.

4bf3ff67_CharcoalBasket.jpg

Any thoughts, comments, concerns, criticisms, critiques?

Anybody have any experience with Mazes in small side firebox smokers?

I use a basket with my chargriller but not a maze in it, I really dont see why it wouldn't work as long as you make it deep enough so it will hold enough charcoal to keep temps up as it burns through the maze. Give it a try and if it doesn't work,you did make it removable!!!!

^ what size of basket do you have in your chargriller?

Guess i am just worried about it being too small for a maze. one way to find out,..

Ledhead, I have to agree with Les, I have a basket in my Brinkmann SnP Pro but it does not have the maze.  I don't see any reason why it would work and like Les said it is removable?  Basket size sounds good overall so go for it!

Your SMF Friend,

Barry
biggrin.gif

^ good stuff, i was just worried about the size. I'll go with less talk more fab and see what i can come up with,

Thanks Guys

Your design sounds good, just make sure your double up on your dividers and allow an air space between them so the coals on the other side are not ignited by the heat being transferred from the dividers.

you can also use fire brick (insulation type)

^ Yup, I was planning on doubling up the baffles, I was planning 1/8" plate with 1/4" in-between but now i am thinking ½”-1” to make a better thermal break.

At least it will give me another variable to play with....going to need to do a lot of experimenting over the summer....should start filling the freezer with meat

How much are you offering? haha

Actually my divider panels went into the scrap bin, i have just been using it as a regular charcoal basket and have been happy with how its preforming.

If you can weld and cut making one is pretty easy, if not a fab shop should be able to make you one just at what cost is another issue, not sure if anyone offers anything like this that is mass produced,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky