Firbox top

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gsuders86

Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
Building a brick firebox. Which way would be best for the top of the firebox?

I think the arc design lined with firebricks is the best, but not sure if I'm capable of doing it so I'm hoping to keep a flat top.

I have a 1/4" piece of steel I was going to use. Was going to line the sides with firebrick than lay the steel on top. Than brick on top of that. I'm just worried the steel will warp and end up cracking the brick joints. If I did use the steel would it be benifical to put the steel down, a layer of firebricks than the brick on top of that?

I also thought of using angle iron to span across the top and help hold the firebricks on top and than brick on top of the firebox?

Which method is the better option or is there another way? My firebox will be 17 1/2" x 17 1/2" inside.

My dad built a wood burning Santa Maria bbq out of brick and Incorporated a oven in the center. Never had an issue. But if you are putting the bricks on top before adding the top part put some steal down and place the firebrick without grout then add the top. Will be flat and not hot plus a level surface.

17 x17 is small for a fire box. Standard around here for firewood is 16 inch with some going 18 in length

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky