Finocchiona Salami completed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mmmm Meat

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 6, 2021
Here's my latest finished salami - Finocchiona. I'll be darned if I know where I found this recipe. As I search around the web, it is very clear that there is a lot of variation in the recipe: I'm adding it here since I'm not sure where it came from. I always adjust salt and cure to the standard percentages recommended in Marianski regardless of what the recipe calls for.

1867 g pork lean
615 g pork back fat
3% salt - 74.5 g
.25% cure #2 - 6.2g
.2% Dextrose - 5g
.2% Sucrose - 5g
.2% White Pepper - 5g
.5% Black Pepper - 12.4g
Whole Fennel - 7g
Garlic - 8g infused in 60ml red wine
Majoram - 1g
Thyme - 1/2 g
Basil - 1/2 g
Corriander - 2.5g
Allspice - .5g
Nutmeg - 1.5g
1/4 tsp T-SPX in 1/2 C. H2O
Initial pH - 5.5 - 5.6
Stuffed into 40 mm collagen casings and treated with mold 600
Fermented at 69 degrees F for 60 hours - final pH 4.96 - moved to curing chamber

I prefer the rustic look of old world salami - large fat chunks with some remaining definition in the meat as well, so I grind the fat larger than the meat and don't overmix the meat prior to stuffing. In this case the fat was ground with a 10 mm plate. The downside of this is that this method seems to be that it is difficult to remove all the voids when stuffing.

Seven weeks of drying produced 42% weight loss. My chamber is still drying product a bit too fast and like prior attempts, these have areas of hardening on the edges. I wasn't totally in love with this recipe when I first tasted it. It seemed a bit bland compared to others that have chili powder or pepper flakes in them. A couple days after slicing and additional tastings, I'm liking this a lot more. It's not an in your face type taste but comes on gradually and lingers on the tongue well after ingesting it. Like all the others, these got vacuum sealed and put away to equalize for a month or two, depending on how long I can go without breaking into it again.

Finocchiona.jpg

Finocchiona2.jpg

Finocchiona3.jpg

finocchiona5.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly. It looks good but, the fat is a bit heavy overall. Otherwise, you have arrived. Fine tune, but you are on the right path, for sure.

Honestly. It looks good but, the fat is a bit heavy overall. Otherwise, you have arrived. Fine tune, but you are on the right path, for sure.
For the time being, this is my target for fat appearance. I attribute it to the local salami that was available during my two tours of duty in Sicily. I'm pretty happy with it but I'm sure my preferances will change over time.

salami stock photo.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky