FINISHING SAUCE (for Pulled Pork)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No such thing as a silly question here.

I would just apply FS to what was being consumed at the time.

I don't know if the vinegar would affect the pork or not . but it's to easy to apply when heating to take a chance.

I tried this finishing sauce for the first time a couple weeks ago... it was beyond awesome!! It will be a part of any pulled pork smoke from now on for sure!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Last edited:
Man oh Man, I am excited to try this on my pulled pork tomorrow.  I am having a bunch of company over and if this really makes pulled pork that much better then I might just be crowned "king of pork" tomorrow by all of my guests.  I will post an update sometime after the food coma!

I jumped from the first page to the last only to say that the OP's concoction sounds Carolinian.  Will read on through for other suggestions though.  I'm doing up some pulled pork for an "undetermined" amount of guests in a few weeks and already intended to make a Carolina sauce as an option.  I love that stuff.

A pig pickin' with Carolina sauce...slaw, tater salad, cornbread.  MMM.  That and some shaggin' music.  Lived there only three years, but you'd think I was born there.

Last edited:
Have used this finishing sauce two times and both were great, I have a question though..instead of cider vinegar would using apple juice work or defeat the purpose?....if you haven't tried this recipe you don't know what you are missing...

I love this finishing sauce on pulled pork. Ive never been a vinegar guy but man oh man does it bring the flavors together. This is the 4th time Ive made this, The 1st two times I made it just like it says to. But last time I used Balsamic Vinegar since I was out of Cider vinegar....and tonight I made it normally except I added a little bit of onion and garlic powder. Boy is it good. 

If there was ever a recipe that warranted thirteen pages of comments, this is it.  May it get thirteen pages more.

I tried it for the first time yesterday and now I iknow what all the fuss is about. 
icon_eek.gif

I know some folks don't bother with finishing sauce, or they just use the natural pan juices or whatever.   Different strokes for different folks, you could say. 
icon_confused.gif

To my taste, this sauce is indispensible.  It makes the pulled pork taste the way I imagined it should taste.  
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Infinite blessings and good fortune to Florida Jeff for posting this gem of a recipe!

Wait a minute I didn't know that Iowa State played football!! :)   This sauce is FANTASTIC on pork , but I have found it very versatile, I have used it on smoked chicken breast,sliced and placed on crackers,also on  grilled steak (used flank) sliced on a basis placed on  sliced baguettes along with sliced peppers, sliced cherry tomatoes, whatever veggies you see fit, along with a variety of cheeses,pepper-jack,Colby,etc. These are great little appetizers,but DON'T FORGET THAT SAUCE!!!!  Looking into getting the amazing smoker then I will smoke the cheese!!

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Last edited:
WOW! a thread nearly 4 years old on a recipe I needed two month's ago.  I shoulda looked here first, but googled for a recipe instead.  I wasn't familiar with the term "finishing sauce." 

Reminiscent   my years living in N. Carolina twenty years ago, I recently hunted recipes for that "vinegary stuff" those folks pass around in one gallon jugs to dress the plate of pork served up at their traditional "pig pickin'" events.  I thought it'd be something different and zesty to go with the smoked butts I was preparing for a gathering of folks here in TN.  So...I searched for "Carolina Sauce" on the web and found some results.  Except for the Cajun embellishment, this sauce fits that description.  Vinegar....sugar....red pepper flakes - done just so to make THE perfect addition to pulled pork.

I have the results of several attempts still in the fridge, but looks like I'll be trying this one.  However, I personally determined that my concoctions seemed to impart better flavor if allowed to "set" for a week or so in the fridge, as if to allow the ingredients (especially the red pepper flakes) steep for awhile and compliment each other better.  This is especially true if you decide to serve the sauce on the side.

I think I'll be making this finishing sauce this weekend.  Thanks Jeff.

several recipes mention this creole seasoning.  I found the recipe that makes 4 cups.  I scaled it down to a reasonable amount.  You can use it in the finishing sauce.

Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning

½  C salt

1 ½  t black pepper

2 t red pepper

1 t garlic powder

1 t chili powder

1 t Monosodium glutamate

Stumbled across your finishing sauce recipe and I'm gonna give it a try. Local market has pork butts on sale for $1.29lb so I'm gonna get a couple. Hubby loves pulled pork, so I think this will be a good one to try. Thanks for the recipe and looking forward to any rub recipes you might have to share!

Definitely a must have for pulled pork.

I Have made this twice now and it just adds so much to the meat. 

Now that I have this finishing sauce in my arsenal I don't think ill ever eat BBQ sauce on my pulled pork again.

Jeff - thanks for the finishing sauce recipe.  I've been looking for a good one for a while now, and am going to try yours on a butt I'm smoking today.  From looking at the posts, I'm sure it will be great, but I'll post later on tonight and let everyone know how it turns out.  Have a good Saturday everyone.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky